Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

MSXML 4.0 SP-2 Security Update question...

by glenn30 / November 16, 2006 8:06 AM PST

In Control Panel Add/Remove Programs I have two entries:

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB925672) Size 256MB
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978) Size 256MB

Question is can I remove the older Security Update (KB925672)? Nothing was mentioned in the download about removal. Not completely sure I had it before but assume as much. Update did not remove or replace it.

TIA

Glenn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSXML 4.0 SP-2 Security Update question...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSXML 4.0 SP-2 Security Update question...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Glenn, The New One REPLACES The Old One..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 16, 2006 8:16 AM PST

A quote from the FAQ section of the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-071.mspx

What updates does this release replace?
This security update replaces a prior security update. The security bulletin ID and affected components are listed in the following table.
Bulletin ID Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0

Note This security update only replaces the MS06-061 security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 and Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 as both Microsoft XML Core Services 3.0 and Microsoft XML Core Services 5.0 are not affected.

_________

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "remove" in regards to the older version, but there's no need to remove anything.. The new version of the update replaces the old.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, by 'remove' I mean to...
by glenn30 / November 16, 2006 9:31 AM PST

delete the older one from Add/Remove Programs. As it now stands, both the old and the new are listed in Add/Remove Programs. Since the old has been replaced I see no need to keep both... is my thinking correct?

Thanks,

Glenn

Collapse -
Interesting, Not Seeing That Here...What I Would Do....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2006 8:03 AM PST

Since I'm only seeing the latest version listed in the Add/Remove Programs section on all our computers, (meaning that it correctly replaced the earlier version), I would uninstall them both, then revisit Windows Update and install only the latest one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Took advice! Only the latest in Add/Remove Program now :)
by glenn30 / November 17, 2006 10:34 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?