Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MSpaint, Calc components missing from my XP SP2

by gbappiah / April 3, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

Hi,

I recently lost my windows components MSpaint, Calculator. I've tried reinstalling them in the "windows components" section of Add/remove programs and this did not work because apparently there is a missing i386 folder which is needed.

Next I tried system restore, which did nothing.

Now I'm in the process of trying a windows repair, however once I enter windows setup environment and select 'R' for repair, it send me to DOS and I don't know the DOS cmd to repair.

does anyone have any suggestions on either: A) how to restore my windows components

B) the proper cmd to repair windows?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSpaint, Calc components missing from my XP SP2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSpaint, Calc components missing from my XP SP2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not??/
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2008 1:37 AM PDT

Copy the i386 folder from your XP CD?

Collapse -
Finally! They're back!
by gbappiah / April 3, 2008 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not??/

Ya it's my fault, I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and made a clumsy mistake. Thanks for the help though!

Collapse -
CMD for repair windows
by gbappiah / April 3, 2008 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Finally! They're back!

....However, I am still curious as to how to repair a windows install when in the DOS interface as apposed to the "Windows Setup"...

Collapse -
When you post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2008 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: CMD for repair windows
Collapse -
This worked great for me!
by machguy / April 27, 2008 4:48 AM PDT

It is still probably resident on your PC, it's just that the shortcut has disappeared.

Go to 'Start', then 'Settings', then 'Control Panel'

In the 'Control Panel' go to 'Add or Remove Programs'

In the 'Add or Remove Programs' window click on 'Add/Remove Windows Components' in the left column.

When the 'Windows Component Wizard' opens, highlight the 'Accessories and Utilities' then click details. A new window will open.

Highlight 'Accessories' and then click details.

Be sure that 'ACCESSORIES' & 'GAMES' have a check mark by each one. By HIGHLIGHTING each category above you will be able to see which items are checked or not. Select those items you desire or just check them all if you're not certain. If they do not have check, i.e., check them and click okay. If they do have a check mark, uncheck it then check it again and click okay (this will force it to reload the shortcut again).

Click okay in the next window, and okay in the next, and then 'Next' in the wizard. It will start to load your settings. Click finsihed when it completes. Your Paint, Calc, etc. should be back to where they were originally and function correctly. Sometimes it may require the Operating System disk, so be prepared to have the disk ready if asked to insert it.

This should put your ACCESSORIES (CALCULATOR, PAINT, etc.) and GAMES (Freecell, etc.) back to normal function and availability. They can be easily found and tested by going to START, ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES and then locating and selecting the desired program.

Steve M.

Collapse -
Using Windows CD
by gbappiah / April 29, 2008 12:49 AM PDT

Thanks, I did this a different way though. I used the windows CD, once it auto-plays, there should be options to install windows, repair windows or install windows components. It basically does the same thing except instead of installing from your local I386 directory.

* One component I noticed which does not get repaired using these methods is the recording OR sound properties. Anyone having these problems, after repairing everything else, will need copies of "sndrec32" and "sndvol32" placed in their System32 directory from another windows PC perhaps. If I find out any other way I'll post.

Good luck all

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.