Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MSOE:DLL error in Outlook Express 6/Internet Explorer 6

by pjake51 / September 6, 2004 2:06 AM PDT

I removed some spyware programs and right away I couldn't get into my Outlook Express 6. I got an error message that told me my MSOE.DLL couldn't be loaded. I have tried everything, even trying to revert my system back to the day before, but that .DLL file is gone and I can't get in. I am wondering if the information you have given time and again about going into the regedit and following the instructions there would work for OE6/IE6 as well. It looks like everyone else was running IE5 that had this problem. I have tried to remove Outlook Express and used the CD to put it back on and it still is missing that link it needs to work. Any suggestions since nothing else is working for me? I put go-back on yesterday, but much too late to help me out. I am also still wondering if all of my Outlook folders will still be there? I am sort of new to this error thing. I haven't had any problems ever with Outlook Express. Thanks in advance for any help and I hope I posted this in the right place.
Pam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSOE:DLL error in Outlook Express 6/Internet Explorer 6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSOE:DLL error in Outlook Express 6/Internet Explorer 6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: MSOE:DLL error in Outlook Express 6/Internet Explorer 6
by TONI H / September 6, 2004 2:28 AM PDT

Outlook Express Error:

MSOE.DLL not loading is normally an error message you receive if you have updated Internet Explorer and Outlook Express didn't update at the same time. You can usually correct this by going to Add\Remove Programs, click IE & Internet Tools, click Remove....now choose Add Component from the menu you will see, and even though OE may be in BOLD letters indicating it's already installed, choose it anyhow and install it again over the top of itself. Shut down and reboot to see if it fixed the problem. If not......

See if any of these apply to your situation. Most refer to IE 5.5 but probably apply to IE 6 as well.

OLEXP: Error Message: Outlook Express Could Not Be Started Because MSOE.DLL Could Not Be Loaded
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q232480

OLEXP: Outlook Express Stops Working After Uninstalling Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q256842

OLEXP: You Receive an Error Message or Are Unable to Start Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q245419

OLEXP: Error Message: Outlook Express Could Not Be Started Because Msoe.dll Could Not Be Loaded
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q296512

TONI

Collapse -
by pjake51 / September 6, 2004 2:34 AM PDT

Thanks so much Toni, will try that first!
I appreciate it.
Pam

Collapse -
by pjake51 / September 6, 2004 2:40 AM PDT

I also wanted to add that when I first got this message, I hadn't touched Internet Explorer or Outlook Express to do anything. I just clicked on the Outlook icon after I removed all of the spyware programs that I had on there. I had 4 that I removed and I feel this has something to do with it. They were WinPatrol, Spybot, Spyblaster and Hijack This. I had read that you need those AND Ad-aware to really protect your computer, so I added them, then the computer began to freeze up almost immediately and I removed them a few days later. I left Ad-Aware because I had used it before and had never had a problem with that for over a year. I have since added back those programs hoping that whatever I did wrong would be corrected, but that didn't work either. I did everything before I even attempted to remove OE6 and put the Windows 98 S.E. disc back in and add the Outlook Express back in. I still haven't touched IE6 at all. When it didn't work putting the OE6 back in is when I went back to the day before it all happened in the computer but that didn't work either. I am up the proverbial "creek" at this point, but I do believe it had something to do with the removal of the spyware because it happened immediately. Thanks again!
Pam

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / September 6, 2004 3:19 AM PDT

First of all: your mail should still be there. Use Explorer to find Inbox.dbx, and you've located the folder where all your mail folders are. Make a copy of the folder, just in case. When need arises, you can copy the contents of the folder back.

Then: the programs you name aren't spyware, but spyware detection programs. Hijack This is totally harmless, it just prints a snapshot of your system. I don't know Winpatrol and Spyblaster, but they might interfere with your system, and so (maybe) does Spybot 1.3 if you use it for certain immunizations. Adaware, I'm sure, only runs when you run it.

Very strange is: "I put the Windows 98 S.E. disc back in and add the Outlook Express back in." It's very unlikely that your Windows 98 CD contains O.E. 6.0. Are you sure you didn't install the IE6/OE6 combination from some other source?

The best thing to do now:
- download Mozilla from www.mozilla.org
- download freeware program ieradicate and run it to remove IE completely from your system
- then use Mozilla to download a fresh copy of IE6/OE6 from the microsoft side.

With everything fresh, chances are it will work again. And with the copy of your mail folder, you'll have that back also.
And if everything fails: use the mail program inside Mozilla!

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by avonlady / November 19, 2004 3:44 PM PST

This is more of a question rather than a reply because I had this situation happen to me today.

In my case, I had done two things - one planned, one unplanned! I had removed ad-aware from my computer and added Spybot. But also, somewhere along the line, I accidentally removed the "Address book" thing on my computer.

When I left to run some errands this afternoon, all was fine - my anti-virus program was scanning, the rest of my stuff seemed at that time to be working.

When I got home about 2 hours later and tried to check my e-mail, I couldn't log into outlook as I was getting the same error as mentioned above.

I have Windows 98R and I think I have internet explorer 5.5. - not positive on that though.

I spend over 9 hours working on this problem. I reloaded microsoft office, using the repair sequence. Realized that I had deleted the Address book and got that back in place - or so it appears - but nothing worked. Downloaded from some site I found the msoe.dll file and put it in the outlook express folder, still no go. Had my son-in-law working with me on the phone for over an hour trying to find a solution and nothing worked there either.

I was finally able to get into my e-mail because I also had eudora on the computer but had sort of shut it off for a few weeks. Just changed the e-mail configurations in it and was at least able to pull my mail over that way. But, I'm still concerned about some correspondence I had on the outlook express and if I will be able to locate it.

But also, I am wondering if perhaps the spyware removal programs didn't have something to do with my problem too since as the first person here with the problem stated she had removed some spyware stuff and it was after that her problems began.

I am sure that accidentally dropping the address book didn't help my situation but perhaps there is something to the spyware stuff being the instigator here.

Now, I am trying to figure out how to get to the files I had stored on Outlook Express. It took some doing but I finally found the "Inbox.dbx" but when I went to open a file there, I had to choose something to open the file with. Here is where my computer illiteracy really comes into play!

I clicked on to open it with notepad and now, all the files in there are in that format and it is not exactly easy to read this jibberish.

How can I go to that area - application data and find my way back down to the outlook express folder and get the correct program to use to open these saved pieces of correspondence?

Anyone have any suggestions or solutions to my question there?

Thanks and here's hoping someone has an answer and instructions for this computer dummy to get back a little bit on track.

Jeni

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / November 19, 2004 5:31 PM PST

Jeni,

You don't tell much about the errors Outlook Express now gives, so it's impossible to tell you how to get that program up and running again. Possibilities include:
- repair IE from Config Panel>Add/Remote
- go back to a previous version of IE (same way)
- download and run a program called IEFIX
- go to microsoft.com and install IE6.0
- download a program called IEradicator and run that before installing IE6.0 again (you need a another working browser like Mozilla to do so!)

Anyway, so seem to have proven the rule that messing around with MSOE.DLL most of the time makes problems worse, not better! You'd better come here for advice somewhat earlier, I think.

It seems you found the folder that all Outlook Express folders (like Inbox.dbx) are in. The best program to read them with is ... Outlook Express. Definitely not notepad. If you can burn the whole folder to CD (or zip and mail) you can access them on any other computer that has OE, by copying the whole folder from CD (or unzip) to a hard disk folder, and tell Outlook Express that that's the place where its file are (Tools>Options). But you'd better get OE working on your own machine, of course.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by avonlady / November 20, 2004 2:04 AM PST

My apologies for the confusion there. The error I am receiving is the same as what the girl who started the thread is having - "can't open Outlook Express because MSOE.dll cannot be loaded".

I very much appreciate your trying to assist me with this error.

As to opening the folder with the Outlook Express stuff and my choice of Notepad - the choices there are such that, as one who is not very savvy with a computer, doesn't always understand which program will operate in the correct manner. Plus, Outlook Express was not one of the options available - Outlook was but not Outlook Express and considering the error I was getting, I guess I probably would have assumed, had I even seen OE as an option, that it wouldn't work since I couldn't open my OE anyway. (Just the way my mind works but of course, that sure as heck isn't the way a computer's "mind" works.)

When you say in your message "repair IE from Config Panel> Add/Remote" - you lose me there too. Do you mean the control panel and the add/remove thing or is there something else I should be looking for/at?

Also, because the error says the MSOE.dll can't be loaded - what does this mean and how do you get this to "load"?

My apologies for being such a computer illiterate old soul but sometimes some of these things are really intimidating when you need stuff in plain English to get moving again and hopefully, slowly learn a little more of the computer jargon.

All too often, some of the advice given begins easily enough but for a computer dummy, one little step overlooked there really mucks up the old pea brain (like mine, for instance)!

I'm trying my best to follow your advice here but please, just keep it really, really simple!

Thanks
Jeni

Collapse -
by avonlady / November 20, 2004 7:08 AM PST

Ok - what have I done so far today?

I tried what appeared to be the "easiest" things on the list provided by Kees. I downloaded and ran a program called IEFIX. I went to microsoft.com and installed IE6.0.

So far, I'm still getting the same error message.

One the sites suggested by the other member in this forum - the one that closest matched the beginning of my problem has to do with the removal of the address book from my computer. That is what I had accidentally done yesterday.

However, it says on that particular blurb too that this is an issue with I believe Windows Me or some other system that I am not using at any rate.

However, I had, yesterday, gone it to the Windows Setup, clicked ON the address book, did the thing with the windows 98 cd and restarted the computer. It now shows that the address book is there so where do I find out how to get MSOE.dll to LOAD?

Not being, as I have said in the other posts, very savvy on this kind of stuff, I have no clue as to how to maneuver and manipulate things, particularly involving the Run command after clicking Start.

one question I do have though on the suggestions by Kees - the first one to repair IE. His instructions say "repair IE from Config Panel>Add/Remote"
Does this mean to repair IE from Control Panel using the add/remove thing or is this something totally different and something I have no clue as to where it is and how to get it, etc.? Not that I am that knowledgeable with respect to repair IE from the Control Panel either. Nothing seems to want to work!

Any more ideas? Or translations or WHATEVER?!!!!

If your instructions to me are really simple, really, really clear (like for a 6-year old I suppose), So I can try to correct for this issue without further gumming up the works, I'll give it a shot!

Thanks

Jeni

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / November 20, 2004 10:39 PM PST
Note: The Windows Address Book is activated by the executable file WAB.EXE located in the OE Program Files folder. The path for the WAB is stored in the system registry. What is the location of the WAB? Open the Address Book, click Help in the Tool bar, select About Address Book. If a path is not rendered, OE may be sharing the "Outlook Contacts" folder and does not use the OE one.

His instructions say "repair IE from Config Panel>Add/Remote"
Does this mean to repair IE from Control Panel using the add/remove thing or is this something totally different and something I have no clue as to where it is and how to get it, etc.? Not that I am that knowledgeable with respect to repair IE from the Control Panel either. Nothing seems to want to work!

What is "Nothing . .?

1. To use the Internet Explorer Repair tool, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon, click Microsoft Internet Explorer ? and Internet Tools, click Change/Remove, and then click Repair Internet Explorer.

2. If the Repair tool detects an error, e.g.: "Internet Explorer cannot be repaired. Please reinstall Internet Explorer" or one similar, we recommended that Internet Explorer be reinstalled.

Note: "Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool (Q194177)": Please note this article references just about every version of Internet Explorer and Operating Systems, but the steps/procedures are not exact. As far as I've been able to ascertain, there is no specific article concerning Internet Explorer v6 except for Windows XP.

Warning: Read the description of the apparent problem should the Details button be provided when an error pops up. You might receive the following types of explanations:

? Internet Explorer cannot be repaired due to the following errors: "File name" is missing

=or=

? Internet Explorer cannot be repaired due to the following errors: "Version 4.72.3110.0 of file name exists but needs to be greater than 6.0.20x.xxxx"

Note:The version number listed for a file is the minimum version required by Internet Explorer. If no version number is associated with a file, the Repair tool verifies the existence of the file but not its version. In many, many, instances, you can save yourself some effort perhaps by ascertaining whether an updated copy of the required file is readily available and restore it to the system without having to reinstall. See if you already own a copy of some Microsoft media from which it can be extracted. Please read this article, "Definition and Explanation of a .DLL file." Afterwards, determine whether the x.DLL file was issued by MS and you have a copy, then extract it. Access the DLL Help Database, enter the file name -- including extension in the space provided, and then press Enter. A list of issued DLL files will be rendered if it is a Microsoft issue (correct spelling and punctuation is recommended). If found, determine whether you have the necessary media available, and "Extract Original Compressed Windows Files (Q129605)." Be advised however, this process isn't going to do you any good if the stated dll files are not on your computer or on the media you have. Whether they may be found and downloaded from some certain Web site, I do not know. If all else fails, then uninstall Internet Explorer and then reinstall.

3. Are files available in the Windows\VCM folder if an in-place Setup for Windows was run?

a. The article [Q186157] describes the Version Conflict Manager tool (Vcmui.exe) included in Windows 98. During the installation of a new program (including Windows 98), files on a hard disk may be detected and replaced with older versions. If a newer version of a file is detected by Windows 98 Setup, a version conflict occurs. When Windows 98 is installed, newer files replaced by Windows 98 Setup are automatically backed up for compatibility purposes only if there are any -- the way I would want mine. The Version Conflict Manager tool lists all the backup files, the dates they were backed up, the version number of the backed up files, and the version number of the file currently in use.

b. The article [Q184585] discuss that when Windows Setup detects that a file already exists on a system newer than the one being installed, Setup replaces and automatically moves it to the Windows\VCM folder. If the Version Conflict Manager tool is used later to restore a file which was newer than the file installed by Windows Setup, the older default file is then moved to the Windows\VCM folder with a .000 file extension.

Warning: However, if multiple (more than one) files are restored at once to the system, the newest versions are properly restored, but the files which Setup actually installed (the default file) are not moved (switched) to the Windows\VCM folder -- something we probably don't care about anyway. To prevent this from occurring, restore files one at a time.

4. Search for the file, "Fixie.inf" which should be in the folder, C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer. If it is missing and you can acquire a copy, this may fix the unable to repair anomaly.

5. There may be files named, "Fix IE Log.txt" or "IE Setup Log.txt" which may be searched down and read. Either or both of these file may give further clues of the anomaly cause.

6. Supplemental reading:

a. "Availability and Description of Internet Explorer 6 (Q293513)" and "How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6 (Q293907)."

b. This Microsoft TechNet "appendix" provides detailed information for troubleshooting Microsoft
Collapse -
Something else as an option
by TONI H / November 21, 2004 1:38 AM PST

when you get into Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs is to click the IE program, click Add-Remove and at the next menu, there will be an option to ADD COMPENENTS. Choose that, then scroll down the list in the window that appears and find Outlook Express.

Normally, if it is in BOLD letters it means it's already installed; however, if it's not the same version that you have for IE itself because OE didn't get updated at the same time you updated IE, you need to get OE updated to be the same version.

How you do that is to choose/click Outlook Express from that list, even if it is in BOLD letters, and click Add or OK. The program will look to see which version IE you have installed and it will use those setup files to update your OE to be the same version.

Reboot the computer when it's done.......and see if the error message has stopped.

TONI

Collapse -
by mask205 / September 10, 2004 2:32 PM PDT

HI

One solution is to try to install a older version (5.5) and it see if it works and the without uninstalling the older verion re-install ver6.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.