Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MSN Virus+ Windows Violation+ Error msg.+ more. Help

Well first i would like to say hi, as i am new.

My story. I am fixing an XP computer for a family friend. I thought oh yeah a couple or virus or whatnot... easy! or so i have found, not so easy!

The Problems:
Msn Virus- 888bar. i think. Mywebsearch and others seen. Auto send out of virus over msn. The "is this a picture of you blah blah"
Other virus- Automatic restart.
Spyware and stuff through the roof.
Windows Violation Error
DVD Ram not working. unknown reason.
Unbelieveably slow. Eg consistant freezing.

Basically what i have done.
Run CA Spyware, Antivirus, Firewall now setup.
Registry Mechanic.... Done what i understood. When running fix as soon as it tries a deep scan the comp restarts.
AVG spyware
Online scan done originally but now wont work.
CleanUp

I really need some help as i need to return the computer.
Basically i can now use it without it restarting, but when i try deep scan it automatically restarts.
MSN does not send out the virus anymore.

If you can please help me, it is very very much appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Sam.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSN Virus+ Windows Violation+ Error msg.+ more. Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSN Virus+ Windows Violation+ Error msg.+ more. Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
radical redo

In reply to: MSN Virus+ Windows Violation+ Error msg.+ more. Help

Clean it:

- Boot into SAFE MODE
- Turn off System Restore
- Perform antivirus and antispyware scans with up-to-date definitions
- Uninstall LimeWire and other P2P file sharing programs.

...and start over:

- Backup all important files and settings to removable media
- Wipe the hard drive with DBAN
- Install XP from with friend's CD
- Install drivers
- Install programs
- DON'T REINSTALL LIMEWIRE (OR SIMILAR)

Collapse -
Last resort

Hey linkit, thanks for the reply but i realy dont want to have to do that.
Plus the cd drive doesnt work so i kinda cant.
I would do that as a last resort but i think it should be possible to fix it some other way.
If you or somebody else knows how i could fix it without having to wipe it please please let me know.

Thanks again
Sam.

Collapse -
You don't need a CD to scan in Safe Mode

In reply to: Last resort

While it may be possible to clean it and still have it in working order, it sounds as though there may be damage to the OS itself. The safe course of action for massive virus and spyware infestation plus malware damage is a wipe and reinstall. I wouldn't trust the security or reliability of such a computer without the radical redo.

Even if you don't do the wipe and reinstall, you still need to follow the cleaning steps IN SAFE MODE:

- Boot into SAFE MODE
- Turn off System Restore
- Perform antivirus and antispyware scans with up-to-date definitions

Removing the nasty pests often leaves a damaged registry (there's that need for the XP CD again), but you can fix a common problem. If, after getting the system cleaned, you can't connect to the Internet, download and run WinsockXPFix.exe (Google it).

Some more free scans:
AVG Antispyware
Ad-Aware
Windows Defender
Spybot S&D

A little more advanced:
Look for rogue items in Startup in MSCONFIG. Use a reference like SysInfo.org to learn what is legitimate. HijackThis is a big helper with these items, but it is not for the novice and it is against CNET Forum policies to post the long logfile here (unless a moderator asks for it).

I wasn't kidding about LimeWire. Some versions actually install the pests; all versions are an open door to the pests. Oh well, maybe your friend likes to keep banging his head against the wall. Ouch.

Also, look through Add/Remove Programs control panel and Google unknown titles for adware/spyware. Uninstall them.

Get rid of temp files. CCleaner can help here.

BTW, what antivirus and firewall programs are running?

Also, friend should keep computer behing a router with a built-in firewall and not connected directly to a broadband modem. Only use IE for Windows Updates; Firefox is still a safer alternative.

Collapse -
one more thing

In reply to: Last resort

After you get it cleaned, go to the Properties of the hard drive and run the ERROR-CHECKING TOOLS.

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: one more thing

i will run everything u said soon. and will reply bak on how i go after woods. ur help is very very much appreciated!

Collapse -
Anti stuff

In reply to: one more thing

Sorry i missed the bottom of your post.
Um i was running Avast but im thinking i will change as my friend aint to consistant on the updates and scans.
So i have got CA secruity suite. Antivirus, Spyware, Spam etc Good or Bad???

Collapse -
"when i try deep scan it automatically restarts" Did you?

Clean the insides of the machine?

Are the fans spinning like they are new and are the heatsinks without a layer of dust?

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: "when i try deep scan it automatically restarts" Did you?

Yeh the first thing i did when they told me it had a problem was vaccuum and clean it out. Fans is correctly running too.

Collapse -
What I do next is open the Event Viewer.

In reply to: Thanks

The Event Viewer (see help and support) may hold a clue to the reboot. I usually clear the logs, cause the reboot and then look in the event viewer. What I find there is then google'd or shared here.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.