- Boot into SAFE MODE
- Turn off System Restore
- Perform antivirus and antispyware scans with up-to-date definitions
- Uninstall LimeWire and other P2P file sharing programs.
...and start over:
- Backup all important files and settings to removable media
- Wipe the hard drive with DBAN
- Install XP from with friend's CD
- Install drivers
- Install programs
- DON'T REINSTALL LIMEWIRE (OR SIMILAR)
Well first i would like to say hi, as i am new.
My story. I am fixing an XP computer for a family friend. I thought oh yeah a couple or virus or whatnot... easy! or so i have found, not so easy!
Msn Virus- 888bar. i think. Mywebsearch and others seen. Auto send out of virus over msn. The "is this a picture of you blah blah"
Other virus- Automatic restart.
Spyware and stuff through the roof.
Windows Violation Error
DVD Ram not working. unknown reason.
Unbelieveably slow. Eg consistant freezing.
Basically what i have done.
Run CA Spyware, Antivirus, Firewall now setup.
Registry Mechanic.... Done what i understood. When running fix as soon as it tries a deep scan the comp restarts.
Online scan done originally but now wont work.
I really need some help as i need to return the computer.
Basically i can now use it without it restarting, but when i try deep scan it automatically restarts.
MSN does not send out the virus anymore.
If you can please help me, it is very very much appreciated.
Thanks for your time.