Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MSN toolbar problem

can some one please tell me why after ive switched off my P.C, my msn toolbar disapears and stops running even though theprogram is still on my p.c? I have to unenstall my Messenger to download the toolbar (its bundled in with it) as the links from the MSN homepage dont allow me to recieve it. Im using Windows 98SE.
Any ideas????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSN toolbar problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSN toolbar problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: MSN toolbar problem

In reply to: MSN toolbar problem

Just commenting. MSN has its own army of support staff like AOL. MSN is not a Windows 95/98 supplied item and there is very little about it at http://support.microsoft.com As it's "their" bag, give their support a call.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: MSN toolbar problem

Because its a free item, they dont give support it it> I found that out the hard way when i had a problem with WMP!

Collapse -
Talk about no support.

It's not covered in the Microsoft knowledge base either in any helpful way.

Maybe you can do without it?

Bob

Collapse -

after ive switched off my P.C, my msn toolbar disapears and stops running even though theprogram is still on my p.c? I have to unenstall my Messenger to download the toolbar (its bundled in with it) as the links from the MSN homepage dont allow me to recieve it.

Sounds as if something is blocking the load during Startup.

For your reading pleasure only:

When MSN Explorer is installed on a system, the Loadqm.exe file (the MSN Queue Manager (MSNQ) component which manages queuing for the background file-transfer mechanism that is known as the drizzling service) is added to the Startup folder and starts each time the system boots, [Q309418].

Note: When messages are sent to a remote computer and the network connection is lost, the application may have a 12-second to 17-second delay in response to the Message Queuing send function and occurs every five seconds because the Message Queuing Manager tries to reconnect to target computers that do not have a working TCP/IP session. If the target computer is not available, this connection attempt can be blocked. Message Queuing uses a limited number of working threads to handle these network connections and local applications. Since there is no limit to the number of working threads to retry these connection attempts, this can lead to all worker threads being tied up in connection attempts. Since there may be more than one worker thread attempting to connect to the same target computer, this can leave no worker threads available for local applications until one of the threads that is used for a connection attempt times out, [Q321784]. To resolve this problem, obtain and install the latest service pack for WinXP.
Collapse -

Quote from CursorCowboy:

To resolve this problem, obtain and install the latest service pack for WinXP.

Posted by: Cursorcowboy Posted on: 08/19/2004 6:01 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since psychofox is using W98SE ... is this advisable?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Note: ''For your reading pleasure only: ''

Collapse -
spies and search

1. I haven't heard of a spy or malware that messes with toolbars but it doesn't hurt to cleanup your PC.
2. use search for a link to download MSN toolbar. You'll get an EXE for installing it.
3. I'd be lost without Norton Utilities (2002). It fixes many, but not all, unseen problems.
4. Do you have all critical updates for your version (?) of I.E.?

Collapse -
Re: spies and search

In reply to: spies and search

yes my pc is clean, ive downloaded the .exe from various sites it all ends up the same. Im using Norton System Works, and everything is up to date.
My P.C. just doesnt want the toolbar!!!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.