Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

msn messenger screwing up

by shortone / May 30, 2005 9:54 AM PDT

Hi all....my MSN Messenger has been acting up. I tried t download newset version only to find out 30-45 min later system couldn't take it as I only have IE 5.5 and OE 5. I cannot upgrade to 6 as system cannot handle it. Tried that before and it took 2 weeks to find forum to tall me what to do in language I understand.Only been at this a few years so not that 'techspeak'' yet. What happened is the 6 sent everything into hyperdrive and shut down in middle of things including messenger. The messenger was working weird before that tho...I would just get it open and start to write and I get the 'msn has to close, do you wish to report yes or no or debug'' and I keep getting same damn message everytime I try to get to heart of matter. Anyone have any idea to get this working properly again? I even deleted(yes I use add/delete program) and reinstalled it again but nothing happened
So where do Igo from here? Any ideas as you all have WINME here. Thanks I have 128 mgs

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: msn messenger screwing up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: msn messenger screwing up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have no cure. Try GAIM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2005 10:01 AM PDT

If you must IM, try GAIM from http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php

"What Is Gaim?

Gaim is a multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM and ICQ (Oscar protocol), MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, GroupWise Messenger, and Zephyr networks. "

Collapse -
by shortone / June 4, 2005 10:47 PM PDT

thanks but that looks rather techy for me and it seems like it has a lot of downfalls

I appreciate the help though THANKS!!

Collapse -
How clear can I make it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2005 11:36 PM PDT

MSN messenger and its servers has been compromised far too many times for me to tell anyone that its OK to use. For instance Microsoft lost control of another MSN messenger server just this month:

"Microsoft: MSN site was hacked
Attackers booby-trapped Microsoft's MSN Web site in South Korea in an attempt to rob visitors of their passwords. It remains unclear how many users have been affected. Microsoft told the Associated Press it cleaned the Web site and removed the dangerous software code that unknown hackers had added earlier this week. A spokesman, Adam Sohn, said Microsoft was confident its English-language Web sites were not vulnerable to the same type of attack.

The news agency noted that South Korea is a leader in high-speed Internet users worldwide. Microsoft's MSN Web properties -- which offer news, financial advice, car- and home-buying information, among other things -- are among the most popular across the Web.

Unlike its U.S. counterparts, the Korean site was operated by another company Microsoft did not identify, the AP said. Microsoft's own experts and Korean police authorities were investigating, but Microsoft believes the computers were vulnerable because operators failed to apply necessary software patches. "

June 3, 2005 - http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci1094847,00.html
MS has a bad track record with messenger. GAIM was easy to install and use for those that tried it again.

Bob

Collapse -
messenger screwing up
by shortone / June 5, 2005 2:11 AM PDT

hi again I stand corrected. I know Micro$oft is a money grubber. I am not too experienced at this stuff and somewhat reluctant I guess

Your point is taken I will thoroughly read up on it

Here I will put "foot in my mouth" again for you....what do you think of IE as browser? I did check out Opera before .

Interested to hear what you have to say

Collapse -
To sidestep spyware...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2005 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: messenger screwing up

Many will use Firefox or Mozilla for browsing and IE when those don't work.

Bob

Collapse -
by shortone / June 7, 2005 3:40 PM PDT
In reply to: To sidestep spyware...

Hi again...just wanted to tell you that I found a solution from someplace I visited...went so many places cannot remember lol But waht was told to do when IE screwing up....go to ADD/DELETE,,choose IE and instead of add/delete choose repair. It worked on mine
My windows updates are back!!! Found solution this time around anyway....next problem who knows lol lol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?