Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

MSN Messenger Logon

by simmo961 / November 15, 2004 8:15 PM PST

Hiya,
A friend of mine is having serious logon problems. Her system is fairly old but she is on broadband. She cannot (nor can I on her system) logon to messenger although we can both do the hotmail thing so our addresses & passwords are fine. We can logon on other machines. I have downloaded the new MSN messenger, disabled the windows firewall and tried all I can think of. What could be stopping this. It would put me in her good books (wink) if I can fix this. Cheers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSN Messenger Logon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSN Messenger Logon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MSN Messenger Logon
by cronista / November 22, 2004 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: MSN Messenger Logon

Hello Simmo961!
Please tell us which OS (Operating System) you are using (Win98, XP, 2000, etc.).
Also, if you are using IE6 (Internet Explorer Version 6.0) or another browser.
And, finally, what kind of error message(s) do you get?
The fact that you can get on to Hotmail but not to MSN Messenger is significant, but a few more details are needed.
Cordially,
Charles in Phoenix

Collapse -
msn messenger.
by annalohan / April 2, 2005 9:37 PM PST

hi my name is anna lohan and im 14. we have msn messenger 7.0 but we have windows 98. it logs on but then it freezes and you cant do anything. why does it do that, is it because we have windows 98? im really stuck and i cant live without msn messenger. lol. ill just have to do with habbohotel until i get help. plz help me. luv anna xxx please email the solution to me at sk8teranna@hotmail.com or just leave the reply here.

Collapse -
Try Easy Message
by jkp / April 3, 2005 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: msn messenger.

Hi Anna,

Do what PudgyOne suggests re. uninstalling then go to http://www.easymessage.net/ and download and install Easy Message.

It uses about half as much memory and handles MSN as well as AIM, ICQ and Yahoo IM all in one fast, lightweight program.

It works well under Windows 98SE.

John

Collapse -
try this
by PudgyOne / April 3, 2005 7:48 AM PDT

go to the control panel.

Add/remove programs

Remove MSN messenger (please note** If you have AOL im doing this will affect this also, they share some files)(uninstall AOL im also)

restart your computer

Go to http://messenger.msn.com/

and when you download it, tell it to Open on location.

After installation and signing on is complete, then restart your computer.

Then if you have AOL im go to http://www.aim.com/

and install AOL im also.

After installation and signing on is complete, then restart your computer.

Hope this helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.