Computer Help forum

General discussion

MSN Messenger Audio Problems?

I regularly communicate with a friend, using the latest version of MSN Messenger and Creative Webcams. Lately, her voice is breaking up and becomes staccato over my speakers. I have given her a new headset, and it works perfectly on her pc with Sound Recorder in her W98se OS. However, still the same problem with MSGR! I have played around with her hardware acceleration and audio settings, with which I am familiar, but with no success. Neither is it my firewall, as I have tried with it shut down. We both use DSL broadband, (256Kb down, 64Kb up), and my OS is XP SP2. Any ideas on this frustrating glitch, please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSN Messenger Audio Problems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSN Messenger Audio Problems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: MSN Messenger Audio Problems?

In reply to: MSN Messenger Audio Problems?

You've asked a few times and I didn't reply since I felt you need to contact your ISP and get the one to one discussion about how the internet works. Throughput is never assured and will affect your application.

You are not alone in this issue.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -

I wonder if 64 kb (bits, I assume, not bytes) is enough, especially if the webcam uses bandwidth too.

And can you try receiving her on another PC to see if that works smoother? If so, it might be a problem on your side. Always good to know where to look.

And you don't tell if anything happened to change 'lately', that is about the time the quality started to lessen. Are the events related to using XP2? At her side, or on your side? Just to get an idea of a possible cause.

Nothing wrong with Bob's suggestion, of course, but the ISP helpdesk will be asking similar questions, so better be prepared.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees and Robert

In reply to: Re: MSN Messenger Audio Problems?

My friend uses Win98se, and I run WinXP SP2. Yesterday I connected to her with my other home networked pc, which still runs Win98se; my XP machine being the gateway to an ADSL 256K down broadband service, identical to hers. The audio worked perfectly in this case, so I am tending to blame the recent download of SP2 to the gateway machine? I suppose MS is an appropriate ogre to finger, failing all tangible reasons!

Collapse -
Re: Kees and Robert

In reply to: Kees and Robert

" my XP machine being the gateway to an ADSL 256K down broadband service, identical to hers. "

The uplink matters as well, but if the machine is an ICS host, you may experience bandwidth issues from time to time. Again, your understanding of how internet things work, are not assured and how ICS shares the connection and creates more load makes this all an not assured configuration.

Many will continue to have this issue and all one can do is point out the usual.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -

Hi SeaFox13,
Do both parties use a rounter? If yes, please read your rounter user guide and use Port forwarding to allow MSN to go through the firewall. You can find more information in www.PortForward.com. MSN ports are 1863, 6901, 6891-6900.
I am not sure about Win98SE. But in your WinXP, please turn on the UPnP feature. Here is an example from D-Link on this setup. http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1170&question=msn
Good luck.

Collapse -

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.