Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

MSN Messenger, Application Error, 0x7c2f4839

by jimmi3644 / March 20, 2006 5:23 AM PST

Ever since I accidentally clicked on a virus link sent to me in AIM, my IE, Yahoo, and MSN has not worked.

When I open IE I get an error message and then it closes out.

When I open or start to run MSN Messenger or Yahoo I get the following message below.
---------
The exception unknown software exception (0xc00000fd) occured in the application at location 0x7c2f4839.

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
----------

Here is what I've done to resolve the problem and it has not fixed it:

1) I've restarted my system in Safe Mode and scanned my whole system including individual scans of IE, and MSN and the problem still remains.

2) I scanned the whole system and the individual programs while not in Safe Mode

3) I've done a program repair on each item and the problems still remain

4) I've uninstalled IE from the components, restarted, installed it again and the problem still remains

5) I've uninstalld MSN and Yahoo, rebooted, installed them again and the problems still remain.
------
Basically, anything that could be scanned in safe mode, uninstalled, reinstalled, repaired, etc... has not worked at all for me.

My operating system is Windows 2000.

I've searched the internet high and low for the 0x7c2f4839 and had no luck finding any information on the error.

MSN has NO information about this error and I don't plan on spending money to ask their tech support when I can get the answer to my problem for free.

I want to reformat my computer sometime this spring, which would solve the issue, but I would like to at least gain my MSN back or Yahoo back. IE I could care less about, I just can't do any security updates.

Thanks,
Ari

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSN Messenger, Application Error, 0x7c2f4839
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSN Messenger, Application Error, 0x7c2f4839
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same Problem
by Xor2 / April 27, 2006 5:52 AM PDT

Have You Found Out How To Fix It Without Rebooting Hard Drive?
If You Know Please Email me:
lil_a1@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks Grin
Kaos

Collapse -
Did you try System Restore?? OR
by Gakada / April 27, 2006 4:03 PM PDT

Disabled System Restore before Fixing (re enabled later on)

Cleaning or scanning on safe mode..

deleting the temporary files.

What VIRUS link?.. you should search for this too. not only the error message..

What scanner and utility did you use? did you try Online scan too?

What about Anti spyware or anti adware.. (some reading for anti virus, Anti Spyware, Anti Adware etc.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=114259&messageID=1298628)

Collapse -
System Restore?
by jimmi3644 / April 27, 2006 10:42 PM PDT

Wouldn't a system restore be the same as "Reformatting"?

Uninstalling the OS and reinstalling it?

If you read my post up above you would have seen that I have indeed scanned in safe mode.

While I was chatting with a friend in AIM, we were discussing "MySpace". Then a link came up that said "Click to see my picture on MySpace" it was a part of our conversation we were having so I had no reason to not think it suspicious. I clicked on it and before I knew it Norton and SpySweeper were notifying me I had Viruses.

My MSN and IE worked fine for a few days then they stopped working altogether and I would get that error.

I have Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, SpySweeper, Microsoft AntiSpyware...

I read an article that was put out over a year ago on something named similiar for the MySpace virus thing... but I spend a lot of time online and I would have heard about it and been aware.

Collapse -
System restore is NOT reformat...
by Gakada / April 28, 2006 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: System Restore?

it just restore your system back to a certain date (choose a date where your pc is working normally)

read about it on the windows help ...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?