Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

msn messenger

by burninwolf / August 16, 2006 12:15 AM PDT

i know this aint really that important but if anyone has any info on this please reply as i am a big user os msn messenger!!!!!. i recived a email today saying this:
Subject : msn closure .... send to contacts immediatley!!!

| | | Inbox

From: ******: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:58:40 +0000>>Hey it is Andy and john the directors of MSN, sorry for the interruption >but>msn is closing down. this is because too many inconsiderate people are>taking up all the name (eg making up lots of different accounts for just >one>person), we only have 578 names left. If you would like to close your>account, DO NOT SEND THIS MESSAGE ON. If you would like to keep your>account, then SEND THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST. This is >no>joke, we will be shutting down the servers. Send it on, thanks. WHO EVER>DOES NOT SEND THIS MESSEAGE, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED AND YOU WILL COST>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: msn messenger
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: msn messenger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fake
by john_mcdoogle / August 16, 2006 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: msn messenger

These sorts of messages have been floating around since instant messenger programs came into being. They're all fakes.

Microsoft, and all the others, have automated systems that disable/remove accounts after some specified period of inactivity.

Further, a small bit of time spent thinking about this would prove beyond a doubt it's a fake.

First, why would Microsoft rely on you, and others, to forward this message? Wouldn't they have access to a master list of all user names and be able to send it to everyone at the same time? Or at least in batches?

Second, there is no limit the the number of names the system can support. The number of permutations possible with the 26 letters of the english alphabet, the ten numeric numbers, and a few non-alphanumeric characters like underscores and hyphens/dashes, creates a near infinite (for practical purposes) list of possibilities. When you include characters/glyphs from other languages, especially non-Latin based languages, the possibilities increase exponentially.

Third, the language of the message is far too informal. If the director(s) of MSN were to send a message, they would use far more formal language, and also include their last names. They wouldn't likely forget to capitalize the first letter of John, November and wouldn't start a message off with "Hey" or use words like "dude" and "cos". Contractions would be infrequent, if used at all. Contractions that were used would be used correctly.

Fourth, if MSN really were closing down, or stopping service of something like MSN Messenger, it would be headline news all over the place. Cnet would certainly be carrying the story, as would the tech section of almost every news site. The fact that no news outlet seems to be carrying such a story is further evidence of this being a fake.

Fifth, outside of England, I don't know of any country that uses Pounds Sterling as its currency. That sort of localization is supposed to add a feel of authenticity to the message, but works against it. At most, it would mean the UK branch of MSN is going to be affected, but no others.

Sixth, which builds on five, is that no one will pay 10 quid a month for something they can get from AOL or Yahoo free. Nor has Microsoft differentiated MSN Messenger enough that they could make a successful case for the 10 quid surcharge. The administrative costs associated with dealing with this billing would likely cost more than it brings in a month.

That's what I came up with after a quick once over of the message. If I went over it in more detail, I could probably pick up on more. The moral of the story however, is that this message is a fake. All messages like this are fake. There have been similar messages going back around 10 years when ICQ was about the only IM game around. I've never forwarded a single one, and my ICQ account is still active.

Collapse -
ok
by burninwolf / August 16, 2006 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Fake

i already thought it was a fake because of the lay out of the email and because the bbc link that was given was published in 2001 but since i am a heavy user of messenger i always like to be sure

Collapse -
totally fake
by Age53 / August 16, 2006 1:53 AM PDT

dude msn won't send you anything like that. considering they have updated there msn to the new live msgr which maybe you should get since it lets ya connect to ppl with yahoo now.

Collapse -
Fake!
by I_love_singing / August 28, 2006 5:05 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?