Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

MSN Instant Messenger - Unable to sign in

by kwil / February 13, 2006 7:16 AM PST

In order to chat with some friends in America who all use MSN, I reluctantly d/loaded it from the MSN website.
However, I've since found that 'signing in' is really a hit-and-miss affair...
My firewall configuration is fine for MSN,the 'Troubleshoot' tab in MSN shows no problems...but sometimes I get in, other times I keep getting timed out. So frustrating!
Over the past couple of days,I've also checked MSN 'Help' only to find that 'MSN Messenger Service is Down'
I've used AOL and Yahoo and connect first time every time..and their services I don't recall ever 'being down'
Am I missing something or does MSN act like this a lot?
Really:Microsoft, for all its prominence,is an absolute disgrace of a company and if at all practical, I'd ditch all MS 'products' in a heartbeat!
Nevertheless, can someone shed some light on this Messenger problem for me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSN Instant Messenger - Unable to sign in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSN Instant Messenger - Unable to sign in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No problem here...
by glenn30 / February 13, 2006 8:40 AM PST

Hi kwil! I use MSN Messenger almost daily in contact with Europe. Seldom have a problem connecting but on rare occasions the system may be down for short periods.

Only suggestion I have is to check for the latest version... one was released a few days ago and to review all settings under Tools/Options. Maybe something there is blocking a prompt sign in. I feel like you will solve this. Maybe someone will come along with a solution.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Actually you can test it by using
by Melati Hitam / February 13, 2006 2:43 PM PST

Windows messenger (Start, all programs, you will see windows messenger and MSN messenger x.x)

use that and see if you still get disconnected.

the new MSN is known to have some problem, due to the fact its has too many features (eventhough they release it as the latest version, i think its still in beta 25, ...LOL...).

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?