Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MSN/HOTMAIL

by englishsunset / August 19, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

About a month ago I turned on the computer and tried to sign in to my emal...msn,com.
I was not allowed to sign in and was informed that msn was upgrading to make its email accounts safer. I was told I had to change my account from asn.com to hotmail.com. I did...I really did not mind, for it would be safer I was for it.
My problem was I could not get back to my msn account to move my folders, etc..

Well, last week I got and email from "me" and it informed me that If I wanted my email account "msn" back I needed to send $750.00 US as it was put to him. In an effort to stall the idiot I said it would be 2 weeks before I could. He then sent another email telling me to very careful and he gave me his bank, its address and account #.
Up until then I had been trying to reach MSN and all I got was a auto generated email asking for everything but my recipe for french toast. I just wanted to find out how to retrieve my info at my msn email account.
Anyway, when I found out that my account was being "held hostage" and that I had recieved an email with an attempt to extort money from me I tried reporting it to MSN. Once again, I recieved a reply that asked for the recipe for french toast. Of course you know I am trying to be funny. I am trying to say that the reply was not helpful.
Hell, I even took it to the local police department...no help.
I am not going to send the jerk any money, I was not born yesterday. I am just wondering if there is anything that I can do and I am wondering if you have had any reports like this before.
Thank you very kindly,

Don K. Miles
seulbydoom@hotmail.com
NEXTEL Direct Connect 166*84*527

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSN/HOTMAIL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSN/HOTMAIL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How about contacting your local BBB?
by eliphant0723 / August 19, 2006 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: MSN/HOTMAIL

I believe the BBB can give you advice on whom to report this to as well as how to contact the real MSN to see if you can salvge the info you want etc.
Also get some one to clean up your computer. Not only is your computer being used as a hostage but most likely it's being tracked on whatever you do: e-mail and everything else.
Good luck, Larry
P.S. I used the BBB once about 5 years ago for a different reason but I sure got results

Collapse -
Don, send an email to abuse@hotmail.com
by DarCLew2 / August 19, 2006 10:23 AM PDT

It may get someone's attention. Tell them that you are seriously of dropping your msn.com account because you think someone is attempting to extort money from you, provide them with a copy of the emails from that person and print out copies for yourself. This can be done from any computer, a library computer and it won't cost you anything. Can you access Outlook Express, all your folders would be there since it is a POP3 account. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Also, I had this tried with AOL BUT I used a different (more
by DarCLew2 / August 19, 2006 10:28 AM PDT

credit card and a new email addresses from the old ones

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?