Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

MSN explorer favorites reset to an earlier time

by mptango / November 21, 2005 8:32 PM PST

Was just wondering if anyone has seen this problem. I still use MSN explorer 6 and last night my favorites reset back to the way they were in August.All the editing and all the favorites I have entered since then are gone. I tried using system restore but that didn't help. I found out where to locate and change the favorites file from a xml to a htm so I can import them into IE but I still need to get back to the most recent favorites before I do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSN explorer favorites reset to an earlier time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSN explorer favorites reset to an earlier time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Strange...
by jackintucson / November 22, 2005 5:14 AM PST

Had a similar problem in early October. Came home to find all of September's favorites for Firefox gone along with September's email from OE. Wonder if it's related?

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
MSN Explorer Favorites file
by Charles Calhoun / January 15, 2006 11:39 PM PST

I cannot fine my MSN Explorer Favorites file on my hard drive.
Can anyone help me find what the actual file name might be?

Collapse -
favorites.xml...
by John.Wilkinson / January 16, 2006 1:12 AM PST

It's been a while since I used MSN Explorer, but if I remember correctly you'll need to search for a hidden file named favorites.xml that's located in the directory local drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\MSNx\UserData\whatever.

If you choose to navigate to that directory using Windows Explorer, make sure you enable the viewing of hidden files and folders by checking the option in tools->folder options->view->hidden files and folders.

If you choose to search for the file, make sure you expand ''more advanced options'' and check the options ''search subfolders,'' ''search system folders,'' and ''search hidden files and folders'' before searching for favorites.xml.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.