Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

MSN / AOL E-mail Problems.

by jessue / November 30, 2004 12:05 PM PST

Recently I have been having a difficult time sending e-mail messages to folks who have a AOL e-mail address. I can't help but think this is due to the recent up-grades that AOL put into effect dealing with spam , virusus and pop -up protection. Here is my problem. When I send an e-mail message, I receive a notice from MSN / hotmail that my message is being delayed due to the fact they couldn't make contact with the receivers mail carrier(AOL). I am advised that there's no need for me to re-send my message cause they will continue to try and make contact with the receivers mail carrier (AOL ). Within a very short time I will then receive another notice informing me that my message was Undeliverable due to the fact MSN / hotmail could not make contact with AOL. I have talked to the MSN techs and they tell me that for some unknown reason AOL is not recognizing my internet address so I should contact AOL.I have talked to the AOL techs and they tell me that the AOL folks that I am trying to send messages too have a block on my internet address. I have contacted those AOL folks (by phone)that I am trying to e-mail too and they tell me that is a LIE! They themselves have called AOL and they are told there is no block ! Why do I continue to have this problem and why can't MSN or AOL advise me as to what the problem is and help me fix the problem ? Like I said earlier This problem just started after the announced changes made by AOL! Thank You !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSN / AOL E-mail Problems.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSN / AOL E-mail Problems.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AOL mail problems
by jag_288 / September 15, 2005 2:54 AM PDT

Hello,
I am also having problems sending e-mails to aol members. Back in Feb. I canceled AOL, our area you could only use dial up. Then cable came into our area and I switched. AOL said we can send you an external modem that would work for dial-up so I could stay online. After a heated discussion about our phone lines now being fiber optics and that thier modems could not and would not make a difference they said they would mail me my cancelation notice. Well when it finally came in the mail there were several offers, including piggy back aol on my new server for $5.00 a month. When I declined is when I started having problems sending mail to aol members.
I received error messages such as 544 HVU:B1 So then I contacted AOL Tech........After 2 months of discussions they tried to say it was Yahoo blocking my mail, and that the two companies we in dispute and nothing could be done about it.
I have XP professional , I have restored , removed and tried to change my firewall. I have tried to tweek my internet settings, but have not been able to come up with a solution.
All I can say is AOL does not like to loose customers and they are the ones blocking up from sending to AOL members.Can they do this legally? Is there a way to get our mail through? Any Techs with any ideas?
JAG

Collapse -
AOL unreliable e-mail receipt
by ITPro / September 26, 2005 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL mail problems

I have spent many, many hours with Verizon (online), MSN and AOL network administrators trying to narrow down this problem. The finger was pointed at all parties in different directions until I was able to get MSN and AOL on the phone line at the same time. The problem is at AOL, every time. They reject all incoming MSN e-mail at times without rhyme or reason. The problem will go away, then re-surface a few months later. After an incident, you would think they would figure it out and fix it. Instead, they ALWAYS blame it on the other service. So - what to do? There isn't anything except to strongly recommend to all your friends, family, associates and business partners to move to another, more reliable ISP. AOL is quick to blame, slow to fix. I believe they don't want to provide service to receive incoming mail from anyone but AOL members, so blame the other services. Good luck and best regards in your search for good service.

Collapse -
Alternative in Outlook
by somiller72 / October 25, 2005 10:49 PM PDT

I use Outlook to send and receive using MSN and have been having the same problems sending to AOL users. It appears intermittently for me as well and recently resurfaced. Because of the number of friends that I have that use AOL, I use AOL instant messenger and did create the AIM e-mail address that AOL offers. I found out that it can be used with Outlook so I set up to have it available to use to send e-mail. What I did was set it so that the reply to address was my MSN address and that Outlook only sent messages and didn't check them. Now when I send to AOL users, at least temporarily, I just select to use the AIM address to send the message and haven't had any problems. To set up an address go to: www.aim.com and either set up an e-mail to use with your existing IM username or create a new username and then create the e-mail address.

Collapse -
Unblocking mail sent to AOL
by jag_288 / October 18, 2005 4:50 AM PDT

I have had so much problems with sending to AOL members,I was about to give up when a light bulb came on. AOL can't help you, yahoo has no one to help you, MSN (well you know what I mean). Most tech's I have spoken to have no clue, but at last a solution.
All servers have an issue with spam and attachments,AOL really has one and it is the URL's and hyper-links attached at the bottom of your sent e-mail. I checked a returned e-mail and at the bottom I had a (blue link) so I checked it out and sure enough it was the rose I added before and after my signature on all my e-mails, also my signature (blue link) they were based from a URL link in explorer (a no no for AOL) also I found my web page (blue link) at the bottom of my e-mails.
Now the fix:top tool bar-go to tools-scroll to internet options-scroll down the list-where it says show all URL's-uncheck the box-restart your computer and you should no longer have any issues sending to aol members.I have worked on this so long and finally it works. Been sending e-mails to my friends that insist on keeping AOL and none have come back.
Should you need extra help or a walk through removing attached URL's and hyperlinks from the bottom of your mail,please let me know.
jag_288@yahoo.com
MsJude

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?