General discussion

MSN and AOL Dial Up Service DO NOT HAVE VIRUS SCAN.

I think it is terrible that the two Largest Dial Up Services in the World would deceive their client users of these ISP Providers. MSN Dial Modem Up Service and AOL Modem Dial Up Service both make the same claims. They pretend to go thru the motions of scanning your received emails with a Bonifide AntiVirus Program, but this is not TRUE.. The only Virus Protection these two Internet Provider Giants give you is by limiting your attachments via file extension blocks. In other words they prevent you from receiving and downloading many exe, pif, scr, and many other ligitamate programs (which are not viruses) just because they use the same file extensions commonly used by virus programs. This is not fair to their client users. They choose to limit their client's abilities to download all file extensions and thus prevent their clients from receiving ligitamate programs from their emails. I think they should use an actual AntiVirus Program instead of short changing their clients by blocking many file extensions from coming to their mail box or preventing them from being opened and downloaded. So if you prefer to only download pictures and do not want to download many many other programs that share the same file extensions as Viruse, then you might enjoy the Limitations imposed upon you by these two Internet Provider Giants. I prefer to use an Internet Provider that does not require you to download software to use the Internet. The Best Internet Providers will assign you a User Name and Password and that is all that is necessary to access the Internet. You have sufficient tools in your Windows Software on your computer to go any where on the internet that you choose. Oh.. Yes. MSN Hotmail should be applauded for giving Free 250 Mega Bytes of Storage to their Users, but with all the other changes and reconfigurations that MSN Hotmail has done to their Hotmail has made their Hotmail Service Very Slow and Difficult to use and as well they limit your downloads, including jpg Pictures that you receive in your Hotmail Inbox. You can download pictures that are sent to you but you can not open them until you download another program from MSN to open them. They format all pictures that you recieve in Hotmail in their new picture program and this is the only program that will open your pictures sent to you from your friends. Of course when you download their new Picture Program from MSN you will also be giving MSN more access to your computer and files. They give you this program free but not without cost. This program benefits Microsoft more that it benefits you. I have several MSN Hotmail Free Accounts, but I have ceased using them because of their degrading changes in their mail system. The best Free Mail Service on the Internet now are Yahoo and Google Gmail. I use my Yahoo Free Account (250 MB Storage), Google Free Account (1000 MB Storage), and my Internet Provider POP Service email account. I have contacted the Technical People at MSN and informed them of my concerns of the changes in their Hotmail. They informed me that they have been receiving overwhelming complaints about the changes in their Hotmail. Lets wait and see if they will correct and modify the bad changes in the Hotmail System.

Roger Gunnoe

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: MSN and AOL Dial Up Service DO NOT HAVE VIRUS SCAN.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: MSN and AOL Dial Up Service DO NOT HAVE VIRUS SCAN.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
a what has this got to do with forum help?

id would post in se if its a rant or in virus spyware if you need help

- Collapse -
This is Useful Information that Everyone Needs.

People Need to know when Super Giants Deceive them into thinking they are getting Real Virus Protection when they are not. People need to know that they are being Severely Limited in the use of their Email Accounts from these two Super Giants (MSN and AOL)

- Collapse -
That may be, but that's not this forum's purpose

Hi, Roger.

This is the place for discussion of problems and suggestions about the CNET forums themselves. Your issue sounds best suited to discussion in the Virus and Security Alerts Forum.
-- Dave K.

CNET Forums

Forum Info