HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MSIE Is not fixed as I thought after trying all sugessted

by ITeachComputer / April 1, 2004 5:52 AM PST

I had thought this was taken care of, but it is not....
This is was the oridginal problem I posted before:
Hello all,
I have had a weird thing going on here for a month or so.......I load MSIE6 and "intermittently" I get a blank window in front of the real window that is behind it.....when I shut the blank window, the real window is behind it (most times) sometimes I have to shut MSIE and then open it again.The problem never repeats itself twice in a row either.I run start-up monitor and Spybot in the background and run the check regular,(yesterday, in fact),and it congratulated me as there is no spyware on here. I also run Adios Pop-up and I run AVG paid edition.....and I have had no viruses on this computer in several years. AVG monitors my incoming and outgoing e-mail as well..so I am a bit baffled ? Anyone have this problem ever?
Then Bob PROFFITT sugessted this: Read http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&messageID=15002&start=0 and
See if you find a pest. My lament is that while Spybot is great, you seem to have to run 4 tools minimum to be sure.CWSHREDDER has moved. I used Google and find it's now at http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
Bob R. Proffitt Posted on: 03/29/2004 3:57

Following Bob's suggestions,I tried the following "besides" Spybot: downloaded and ran CWSHREDDER, Stinger,Adware by Lavasoft and the results were as follows: Adware found a file called
VBS IESTART.E in the folder at C:\windows\PSS\Search.vbsc I deleted it as Lavasoft said as it can not be "auto removed" Every program I run now tells me I have clean computer and/or there is no spyware. BUT!!! I am still getting a BLANK window in front of the "real window that loads" whatever URL I asked it to. "except when it loads the homepage" The homepage is fine. It is geting worse and worse, not very intermittent anymore...and it is driving me crazy.... ANYONE??????? I had thought it was fixed, but I guess I jumped the gun Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSIE Is not fixed as I thought after trying all sugessted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSIE Is not fixed as I thought after trying all sugessted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may have to get a Hijackthis report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2004 6:27 AM PST

Find HijackThis, get it's report and follow the Hijackthis instructions on where to post to get an analysis.

Something is still left and it's just a matter of finding it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: MSIE Is not fixed as I thought after trying all sugessted
by Rollo / April 1, 2004 11:17 PM PST

I had a thought, which you may or may not have tried and may or may not make a great deal of difference in the end. Regardless, I'll continue anyway; (temporarily) disable all scripting support in I.E. (not while it's running), which are the three settings almost at the bottom of the Security tab of Internet Options. Then run I.E. and if the blank window doesn't appear, you know it's a script that's generating it when it does. This may help locating the responsible file which most likely will reside in either the Windows or System32 folder. Of course, it may not be a VBS, JS or other script file at all, could be an EXE file, which possibly is being activated by an entry, somewhere, in the registry. This is where the really clever people here might be able to point you at the relevant registry keys. The other obvious thing to say is; have you a restore point set before this started happening, which you could return to. Regards

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.