Computer Help forum

Question

MSI Wind U100 Netbook Won't Boot. Help?

by BoyOBoy100 / September 6, 2013 1:52 PM PDT

Hello,

I have an MSI Wind U100 netbook. Recently I tried to delete the hard drive.

Since the computer doesn't have a CD drive, I transferred a free hard-drive-erasing software on a flash drive from another computer.

When I loaded the software from startup on the MSI, for some reason I turned off the computer mid-process. Ever since, whenever I start the MSI, it displays the following message:

"Intel UNDI. PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyrght (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporaton

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.06 (080222)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE Rom

Boot Failure
Press any key to continue"

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSI Wind U100 Netbook Won't Boot. Help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSI Wind U100 Netbook Won't Boot. Help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Have you tried to start over?
by glb613 / September 6, 2013 8:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
Start what over?
by BoyOBoy100 / September 7, 2013 7:47 AM PDT

What do you mean start over?

Collapse -
Answer
Looks like it worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 4:04 AM PDT

That is, if the HDD is erased it should do what you wrote.

There are some netbook owners that learn the hard way that you can drive a car with no spare tire but will need one some day.

That day has arrived.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes I made a mistake; what can I do NOW
by BoyOBoy100 / September 7, 2013 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks like it worked.

I'm aware it was not the right thing to do. I'm not computer savvy at all. But in its current condition, how can I fix this problem?

Collapse -
Just like the car with the flat tire, no spare or jack
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

If you are missing the tools to fix it you go get those now. No one said you made a mistake. That is, you used a drive eraser and that worked.

So to recover I'd need the usual tools and CDs.

1. USB DVDRW (about 30 at walmart)
2. The recovery media. Usually it's from the maker but ask them if they have it up at Digital River.

Sorry but only the maker can answer the digital river question.

Is Linux an option? We can install that from some USB stick and get the machine on the internet, do word docs and more.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!