PC Hardware forum

General discussion

MSI 6600GT SLI questions

I'm building a new system using the above borards in SLI. The boards arrived friday and the rest next week.
Anyway, the manual that came with the boards covers most of the MSI 6600 series cards. On different pages it shows a drawing of each card and the various connectors,on each opposite page is a package contents list.

For every board listed it shows a power connector on the board (not just the fan power) and lists a power cord in the contents list. The problem is neither of the two boards actually has a power connector. On the edge of the board are the 3 video out ports (s-video, dvi, vga). On the board are the fan connector (alread wired to fan) the PCI/E connector, and the SLI connector at the top of the board.

I can't imagine trying to run two of these cards powered by the PCI/E slot. Did MSI manuf. screw up, if not then why don't I need separate power lines????????

Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSI 6600GT SLI questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSI 6600GT SLI questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) There should be one look carefully

In reply to: MSI 6600GT SLI questions

Collapse -
here's a pic.

In reply to: (NT) There should be one look carefully

Collapse -
the pic at newegg doesnt have either

In reply to: here's a pic.

i thought pci-express cards didnt need extra power connector and that the pci-express slot is capable of providing the power to the card.

Collapse -
Only on some...

In reply to: here's a pic.

I have the same vid card, PNY 6600 GT PCI-e, and mine doesnt have it either. I believe only the 6800 series cards actually have that power connector but i may be wrong. So i think the 6600 GT has all the power it needs from the PCI-e connection.

Collapse -
i agree with splicer

In reply to: Only on some...

i think only the more powerful graphics card requires more power.

Collapse -
Yep....

In reply to: Only on some...

PCIe cards that I can find in the 6600GT series do not require a power cable. Practically all 6600GT AGP cards require a power cable and are usually furnished. Also, most of the 6800GT PCIe cards including 6800 AGP version cards require a power cable usually furnished.

Collapse -
Thanks everybody!

In reply to: Yep....

Thanks for your replies.

The confusing part was that the manual showed it for every MSI6600 series card agp and pci. Guess someone at MSI was being lazy when they wrote the manual.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.