General discussion

"MSGSRV32 caused error in KRNL386.exe and will now close"

When I turn on my computer, I get the above error and can go no further. This happened to me several times when I was having a problem getting on the internet, but I could eventually get my computer to come on - now nothing but that. It also does not come on in safe mode. It happened before (when I was having internet problems) when I would go to a restore point on my BellSouth DSL help. I would then do a scan for errors, and it went away. I don't know what caused it to start now. I have a Dell 8100 using Windows ME. Any help would be appreciated!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: "MSGSRV32 caused error in KRNL386.exe and will now close"
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: "MSGSRV32 caused error in KRNL386.exe and will now close"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: msgsrv32 caused an error
- Collapse -
Not sure what....

you meant by "a lot of typos"! The problem is I can't even get it to work in safe mode. Is there a way to start the computer in DOS only? I don't use Norton (use free AVG) and just did an AdAware scan a few days ago.

Thanks - I'm checking out the googled links!

- Collapse -
Clarification.

Typo's:
Note the difference between
"MSGSRV32 caused error in KRNL386.exe" and
"MSGSRV32 has caused an error in KRNL386.exe".

That two words are the difference between locating the error message in google and not finding it, when using quotes around it. Moreover, I was using a very bad monitor when writing the above post, and thought there was an extra dot in KRNL.386.exe. And I found 3 to be 'a lot'. Sorry, it only were 2, and I shouldn't have written what I wrote. Still, note the usefulness of using an exact error message in this forum.

And, yes, if you press f8 to get into the boot menu, you'll get a choice not only between Safe Mode and Normal mode, but also MS-DOS should be listed in Windows ME (not any longer in Windows XP). But I wonder if it would have any use. Most tools nowadays require Windows.

It's good to run Adaware, and free AVG should be good enough to find viruses. Still, it's possible some malware is around. Try panda and housecall online scan, and spybot if you are able to get into Windows again.
You will have read in the mean time that MSGSRV32 is kind of a do-all-program, and this error could mean practically anything, including a bad driver or bad hardware.

I really fear that formatting the hard disk and reinstalling Windows ME might be necessary. If you care about your data, it's good to know that you only have to delete (from MS-DOS) the Windows and the Program File folders in stead of formatting. This will leave your documents and music in My Documents and My Music. You might even be able to copy your Outlook Express data from the default Windows folder to a folder in My Documents before deleting it.

You can also search the Microsoft Knowledge Base with the exact error message (as outlined above). The best way for that, maybe, is to use Google with site:support.microsoft.com in the search terms.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Kees

- Collapse -
Thanks for the clarification!

MS-DOS is not listed when I boot to F8, but I was able to scan the disk using one of my Dell CD's - didn't help though. You're saying I should delete the whole, as in TOTAL, Windows and Program directories? (Sorry, not that savvy about some of this). Sounds a little scary! I'll give it a try tonight though.

Thanks!

CNET Forums

Forum Info