Question

msconfig on XP os

I am using XP home on a Compaq Presairio SR1617cl computer, with 4 gig ram, Athlon 64 processor. I have been in run msconfig and there are some 50 or 60 items here that if checked are running at start up, in selective mood I can disable all or enable that which I choose. My question is which are necessary and which ones are not? I have had many different opions some have said to turn all off, but this forum has always given me good suggestions and helped in solving the problems I have had in the past.
What prompted this all was I downloaded advanced systems care 4 and when I turned turbo boost on so many things stopped working it took me a couple of hours trying to get back to what I had. I know why fix what wasn't broken; but it seemed like a program that would help my system work more efficiently, which if I knew what I was doing it most likely would. Thank you for any help that can be supplied.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: msconfig on XP os
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: msconfig on XP os
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request

Only possible to tell which are necessary and which aren't if you provide the full list.

Kees

- Collapse -
The list you requested

jusched, QTTask, msmsgs, dumprep O-k, point32, DIXV update, hpotdd01, Reader -si, AdobeARM, openoffice.org. 3.2, ASTray, cdloader2, ctfmon, Googleupdates, dumprep o-k, realsched, CLIStart, avgtray, HPBootop, HPconectionsXP, hpqSRmon, Ituneshelper. This is all that are there, I have the first 9 in this list disabled. Does this help?

- Collapse -
A Good Resource For Checking Those...

Click on the link below, then select from the alphabetical index to find the specific items you have listed.. It should give you sufficient information to make a decision as to which ones should be "unchecked".

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums