HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

msconfig

by johnservice / May 16, 2009 1:15 PM PDT

I have a xp sp-3 for some reason when i hit select start/run type in msconfig gives me an error message of your not the admin when IAM!!any help PLEASE thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: msconfig
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: msconfig
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I haven't used XP in a long time but I'll give it a try...
by FrankQC / May 16, 2009 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: msconfig

When you check for msconfig, can you rightclick it and click on 'run as admin' ?

I know in Vista you can do that ...

Collapse -
msconfig
by johnservice / May 17, 2009 1:59 PM PDT

no would not work can type winver and i will get my windows version on problem msconfig gives me windows cannot access the specified device,path, or file you may not have appropriate permission to access the item.!! Iam the administrator.

Collapse -
Sounds like an "OWNERSHIP" issue.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2009 8:54 PM PDT

That msconfig.exe is located in C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries

Even though you are logged in as an Administrator, see if "Taking Ownership" can help;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

If that works, it makes me wonder what other issues you have. Losing ownership of such Windows folder utilities could be a sign of malware infection attempting to block the admin from accessing certain files.

Mark

Collapse -
msconfig
by johnservice / May 18, 2009 2:20 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply mark!,latest try in safe mode works but reboot normal and it does not.Also checked out ownership link W.I.P. got me thinking went to control panel/account users to change or varify and could not access!! I have Kaspersky,malewarebytes and trojan hunter rescaning as we speak but nothing coming up yet.

Collapse -
msconfig
by johnservice / May 19, 2009 2:27 PM PDT

Mark i used all scans 1 thing showed trojan psw.win32.vb.akl I researched it! from bulgaria 2005 Strange.Deleted it with K! but still the problem.dont care if TR. is trying to make a come back!my sys. wont allow it!Still no access to user accounts will keep trying! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Collapse -
Time to get expert help
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 19, 2009 8:51 PM PDT

I think you should report this trojan to our experts in the Spyware, viruses and security forum.

Make sure the name of that Trojan is correct, (I couldn't find any definite hits in Google), and in your post refer to this discussion by posting a link to your first post here.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
msconfig/trojan psw.win32.vb.akl
by johnservice / May 21, 2009 12:53 PM PDT

Thanks Mark i posted the correct name i also reseached on google thats how i found out what year and where from!! still have problem but will research away from work! THANKS JOHN

Collapse -
Sounds like a trojan to me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2009 9:42 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.