Computer Help forum

General discussion

MSCONFIG

When I type "msconfig" in the run box it says that it is not a valid win32 application??? Somebody please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MSCONFIG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MSCONFIG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
can you instead type SFC

In reply to: MSCONFIG

at the RUN line, then use the SFC tool to extract a new copy of msconfig.exe from the W98SE cd? That will overwrite the bad copy you have now and should correct the problem. It will automatically enter the destination line for the correct location so you will only have to determine the source location (the cd, cab files on the harddrive, etc for the new copy)

TONI

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: can you instead type SFC

When I typed that in it just looks like something is going to open but nothing does....

Collapse -
What version Windows do you have

In reply to: RE:

I forgot...there's no SFC in Windows ME
Do you have a separate installation cd for Windows or is everything on a system restore/recovery disk or on a partition somewhere on your harddrive? Trying to locate the CAB files in order to extract a new copy of the msconfig.exe file and need to determine where the cab files are in order to give you the correct path.

You might also have a link on your desktop for the partition that allows you to replace individual files...do you have that?

TONI

Collapse -
Could you tell us the browser you are using?

In reply to: MSCONFIG

Apparently it is having a problem presenting the bright red note above the Subject Line that should be there reading:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Just a point of possible interest

In reply to: Could you tell us the browser you are using?

I am color blind, most color blind people are RED, GREEN, BROWN color blind. RED simply DOES NOT stand out to me. Some dim red LED or plasma devices can't even be seen without staring at them.

I can't tell a red traffic light from the amber The amber light simply looks as if it has a brighter bulb in it. LOL

They should increase the point size, mark it PURPLE, have it flash three times when it first appears. .

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Could you tell us the browser you are using?

Sorry about that...
Windows XP home Service Pack 1
HP Pavilion061 MODEL#:PC106A-ABA a610n

If u need any other info please let me know...

Collapse -
For SFC in Win XP

go to RUN, type sfc /scannow and hit OK. It will then run and search for corrupt or missing system files.

Note the space after sfc and the slash.

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: For SFC in Win XP

OK...did that..after that went away nothing else came up. What happens next?

Collapse -
Hopefully Toni H or Ed O will

come back to help. I just used my last ounce of knowledge telling you how to run sfc in Win XP. LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks alot anyway!

In reply to: Hopefully Toni H or Ed O will

Collapse -
When you said

In reply to: (NT) Thanks alot anyway!

you 'did that' and it 'went away'...please give details. Did the small window show up at all that normally appears for a few minutes that runs through the scan pretty quickly to replace/fix anything that is needed? Or are you saying that you clicked OK for the command line and nothing happened? Not trying to insult you, but being vague about what you are experiencing doesn't help us help you.

If you actually did manage to run the SFC /SCANNOW command, have you tried to run MSCONFIG now?

TONI

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: When you said

Sorry..Yes it did scan with sfc /scannow, and yes I did try running msconfig after that and still no luck!

Collapse -
Justme, Try This Please

In reply to: (NT) Thanks alot anyway!

Download the McAfee "FixSwen" tool to your desktop from the link below:

http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/Fixswen.inf

Once it's there, RIGHT click on the file, then choose "Install" from the menu.

After it's installed itself, then try to open "msconfig" again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!