Computer Help forum

General discussion

MS XP Virus Protection Deleted - PC Won't Work

by sunserai / December 24, 2008 3:32 AM PST

I was getting "pop-ups" about downloading a Virus 2008 software program and thought one of those menacing softwares had somehow installed on my pc. I went into the control panel and removed the software. Now I'm having issues turning on my pc. My operating systems is MS XP SP 2.

The first time I re-booted, I noticed the "Virus Protection" that's located in MS's Security Center has a status of "Not Found". I continued to receive the same pop-ups stating to "upgrade from a free-trial".

I re-booted again and now it will take me to the log-on window where you click on your user name. When I click, nothing happens.

Can anyone provide me any assistance? This is the first time I've encountered this. I don't have a boot disk for the operation system.

I have work files I need to get to.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS XP Virus Protection Deleted - PC Won't Work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS XP Virus Protection Deleted - PC Won't Work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More Info On Issue
by sunserai / December 24, 2008 3:48 AM PST

I believe I accidently deleted Microsoft's Trend Micro OfficeScan Antivirus program, which is why the Virus Protection in the Windows Security area is showing "Not Found". Is there a way to re-install this software without re-installing the entire Windows XP operating system again?

Collapse -
How can you expect a reliable answer when ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 24, 2008 5:02 AM PST

you have told us NOTHING about your system other than that it has Windows XP with SP2 as an OS? You didn't even think to mention whether yours is the Home or Professional version and there are considerable differences in how one performs specific "fixes" between the two versions.

Somehow you seem to have missed that paragraph in red text immediately above where you typed your Subject Title. In case yours is the very rare PC that just plain doesn't show the text, here is the note -

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

In other words if your computer is a Dell say so and if the model is a latitude say so and if the model number is a C640 include that info too as well as ALL other specifics pertaining to the system and the problem.

Collapse -
Update
by sunserai / December 24, 2008 8:21 AM PST

I apologize for not providing you more detail information.

My operating system is Windows XP Professional. It has an AMD quad processor and is home built. The motherboard brand is ABIT. Hopefully, this information is more helpful.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?