Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

MS Word97 window management

I am using MS Office 97 (practically all components including ACCESS) under Windows 2000 since 3 years on my present computer.
The use of the Word component recently (not able to be more precise, probably means a couplke of months) has a particular funny vbehaviour: the window opened for Word cannot be modified in size, the THREE icons in the upper right corner work as if only TWO: I can either have the document full screen or on the taskbar; the 'middle icon works just as the other two, i.e. min or max size and when the max size is opened through this icon the window size cannot be modified!!!
IMPORTANT REMARK: all other Office applications (Excel, Access, Powerpoint) have normal window behaviour!
Any idea what I can do about it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Word97 window management
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Word97 window management
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: word misbehaves

In reply to: MS Word97 window management

Try the cure-all: delete normal.dot.
If that doesn't help: uninstall and reinstall Word from the Office 97 CD.

Let us know how it goes.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) (yes, window placement is in normal.dot)

In reply to: Re: word misbehaves

Collapse -
killing normal.dot was my hope ...

In reply to: (NT) (yes, window placement is in normal.dot)

Hi and thank you,
1) I deleted normal.dot (saved to another location the oldie and opened an old word document) - as before
2) I reloaded Office 97 as an update - same again
3.1) I used the SETUP of the CD to suppress WORD on my HD, then killed normal.dot in the templates directory.
3.2) restarted computer
3.3) added WORD from the Office 97 CD.
3.4) the 2 window states are the only useable ones - as before!
4) I downloaded OpenOffice (I still need MS Office for the ACCESS component)!
Fred

Collapse -
Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/157464/EN-US/

In reply to: MS Word97 window management

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/157464/EN-US/ tells where all the other Word97 settings are in the registry. I have no other clues from you as to the cause of your issue, but armed with this article it will be possible to wipe out Word 97 entirely to start again.

Best of luck,

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!