Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

MS Word mail merge/excel file difficulties

by jetbugs / January 14, 2009 11:52 PM PST

I am creating a directory of people's names and contact information. I am using the mail merge in MS Word 2002 to print to individual "labels". I need to actually use two different databases to create two lists of names. The problem is that the two lists can't seem to co-exist in the same document together. I get all kinds of error messages because the data field titles aren't the same or are the same or something in each excel file.

I've been using a third file where I mail merge to, cut and paste that in to the master file which worked once and now I can't get back in to edit without completely starting over.

Is there an easier way to do this? I think I'm wasting the time I'm donating to this non-profit!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Word mail merge/excel file difficulties
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Word mail merge/excel file difficulties
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use a different Word document for each source.
by Kees Bakker / January 15, 2009 2:42 AM PST

I see no need for a "one and only one document" requirement.

Kees

Collapse -
Use a different Word document for each source.
by jetbugs / January 15, 2009 3:26 AM PST

By no need for "one and only one document" do you mean not needing my master document? It has a cover page, contact information for the organization and then contains the two lists of people within it. Or it did once. Now it's annoyed that the second list contains different information than the first list and won't run.

Is there a way to have the cover page/contact info be one file, the first list a second file, the third list a third file and then could they somehow all get printed out together and become one large file I can convert to a .pdf?

Because I did put use one document for each of the merged files (making that 2 total) and then just cut and pasted them in to the document.

Collapse -
Re: merging
by Kees Bakker / January 15, 2009 4:18 PM PST

Yes, you can mail-merge directly to a printer, and you can mail-merge to file.

So my idea is, you've got three files:
1. Header document
2. Mail-merge master document for spreadsheet 1.
3. Mail-merge master document for spreadsheet 2.
Use Word to mailmerge document 2 to document 2a and save that.
Same for document 3; make document 3a.

Then, still in Word, open document 1, append document 2a at end, append document 3a at the end. Save the total document. Or even simpler, define a master document consisting of subdocuments docs 1, 2a and 3a (see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051870021033.aspx), saving you the manipulation of those files.

Kees

Collapse -
merging
by jetbugs / January 25, 2009 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re: merging

Thanks that was helpful and got rid of the error messages. Now I have some wierd formatting issues that I can't seem to get rid of. Mainly that I have the subdocument title and then it has to begin a new page before it starts the subdocument. So I have one page with the title, the rest of the page blank and then the document on the next page. I checked formatting and there is no "new page" or anything like that. I'll try to shrink the font next to see if that helps.

Collapse -
Add a document in between?
by Kees Bakker / January 25, 2009 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: merging

Should contain a title and a new page or so.

Kees

Collapse -
one problem solved, another created
by jetbugs / January 25, 2009 8:17 AM PST

Turns out the section break needed to be on its own line instead of right after the subdocument title. That solved the almost empty page problem. Now that subdocument is stuck over far enough to the right that some of the data is falling off the edge of the paper. It looks normal in the source document but I can't figure out the formatting of the new master document where it's going wrong. Subdocument 1 is good, number 2's margins are messed up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.