Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

MS Word hyperlinks..DIFFICULT question

I can create a link to a JPEG in MS Word & the picture opens with the right program when I click the link but when I create a link to a RTF file, it keeps opening in Word when I click the link. How do I stop this? I want it to open with JARTE or Worpad as they have the right formatting I need. I changed the settings in "Default Programs" so .DOC documents open with Word & .RTF open with JARTE but this doesn't work when I click the link.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Word hyperlinks..DIFFICULT question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Word hyperlinks..DIFFICULT question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's your OS?

In reply to: MS Word hyperlinks..DIFFICULT question

Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista? Mac OS X?
What version of Word?

Do I understand correctly that it works OK (opens in JARTE) if you doubleclick on a rtf-file in Explorer and wrong (opens in Word) if you click a hyperlink to the .rtf-file in Word?
One piece of info missing: what program is used if you click on a hyperlink in a .rtf-file in your browser(s, Firefox and/or IE).

Kees

Collapse -
I have Vista & Office Word 2007

In reply to: What's your OS?

Yes, no problem with Jarte & Explorer. Both open RTF files with Jarte.
Through IE, it is the same problem as Word. RTF files open with Word only. I don't have Firefox installed.
Thanks, HH

Collapse -
Just so you know...

In reply to: I have Vista & Office Word 2007

There is/was an issue with launching documents from IE. Microsoft apparently felt there is a security issue and has put stumbling blocks in that you are now seeing. This may be by design so if you feel you must do this be sure to call MS to get it from the horse's mouth to tell your boss they made a change to kill it.
Bob

Collapse -
Documents from Microsoft about this.

In reply to: Just so you know...

Collapse -
RTF & Word

In reply to: Documents from Microsoft about this.

Thanks Bob. I don't have that much use of opening Word docs through IE anyway (yet). My BIG problem is just opening RTF files through Word (it keeps opening them as DOC files). I've been trying to solve this all week.

Collapse -
Maybe I misread this...

In reply to: RTF & Word

The RTF file should look like a DOCument when opened with Word. If I open it with notepad I can see the guts of the RTF code.

Are you wanting to see the RTF "code" or what Word will render it to?
Bob

Collapse -
I'm trying to do something simpler, I think.

In reply to: Maybe I misread this...

When I click a link to an RTF file in a Word document, I want it to open with Jarte or Wordpad. The reason is because my RTF documents need "no wrap" which Word doesn't have. When the RTF opens in Word, the document is just a huge mess. It's just a display thing.

Collapse -
So far so good.

In reply to: I'm trying to do something simpler, I think.

Word is going to reformat to give you what it will print and AFAIK there is not a dang thing you can do about this since it's designed to WYWSIWIG in spite of anything you want it to do.

I see we are getting somewhere now. To get it to no-wrap I would have to find some printer driver that has some paper 100 foot wide?
Bob

Collapse -
DOC vs RTF

In reply to: So far so good.

I thought just changing "open with" in file options in Control Panel would fix it as it did with Jarte (that opens RTF with Jarte & DOC with Word as I want) but it didn't. Word only wants me to use Word.
I thought about the printer driver option too a long time ago but gave up. I have hundreds of RTF documents & they all have hyperlinks to each other & if I change them to DOC format, I'd kill all the hyperlinks. I remember I couldn't find a program that would auto-change all the links & so I would have to do it manually which would take 10 years.
I prefer Word to RTF, actually, but the lack of no-wrap is the only thing stopping me.

Collapse -
And there is WORDPIPE

In reply to: DOC vs RTF

Look into that to see if it will work with RTF. I'm glad you see the issue now. And that all is working as it should be.
Bob

Collapse -
RTF & Word

In reply to: And there is WORDPIPE

Actually, it's still the same issue that I started with & it's still not working as it should be, or at least, how I would like it to work. Eventually, someone might know how to fix it, if it's possible, & will let us know.

Collapse -
You would have to change what Word is and what Word does.

In reply to: RTF & Word

So far I see you want word to do something that at it's core is programmed to do. This is where we use the right tool for the right job?
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.