Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

MS Word hangs

by Ulha / June 24, 2006 1:00 AM PDT

Searching for solutions to 'hanging' problem when editing text, using Word 2003 with SP2. Everything freezes up, not even Task Manager can unlock it and only way is to reboot. Usually a row of tiny coloured speckles appears where I've been working. This happens mostly in print layout view and almost always when the reviewing pane is open. I think it's got something to do with 'track changes', which I have to use all the time for editing. The program is up to date I believe, and no known viruses according to NAV, also up to date.
I've tried reinstalling but it makes no difference. (Word 2000 that I used before did the same thing, by the way, with Windows Me.) Operating system now Windows XP. Many thanks if anyone can help end this frustration.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Word hangs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Word hangs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Besides the fix try..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2006 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: MS Word hangs

You didn't write anything about the machine. I'd review that my motherboard, video, audio and printer drivers are current. If you use Windows Update or the Driver Update button then you have not checked this out.

Collapse -
I would add...
by entrecon / June 25, 2006 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: MS Word hangs

Along with the precious suggestions I would add that you should also look at any other programs you might have running at the time. Also remember that some programs/processes open at start-up. Thre could be some conflict going on.

Collapse -
You're right. I forgot...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2006 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I would add...

The other usual of Symantec's add-ins to Word.

Seems quality is a foreign word.

Collapse -
hang it all
by Ulha / June 26, 2006 1:40 AM PDT

Thank you Bob and entrecon for your help. I don't fully understand what you mean however. I searched for and the only likely-looking file is called 'Normal' in Application/Data/Microsoft/Templates. Is that it? Do I just delete it? Isn't it important?
As for the updates, they keep coming on automatically but I suspect downloads not always successful because the connection cuts (no broadband here ...)so I'll just keep trying to get them manually.
Finally, I usually don't have any other programs running except MS OE and IE, and Symantec (NIS 2006). Do you mean the antivirus might be causing the trouble? I'll try disabling it then.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Collapse -
normal is as normal does
by entrecon / June 26, 2006 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: hang it all

You have your file extensions not viewable (a windows setting). Normal is This file is important as it holds all of your settings and configurations in Word for new documents. Unfortunately, this file can get corrupted. If the file does not exist when Word opens it creates a brand new one. Deleteing it is okay.

The anti-virus program may be trying to scan something in Word, or on the system. The fact that you mention updates over a slow connection makes me even more suspicious of the anti-virus. If the updates are automatic, your system may not be frozen, but very low on system resources and slow to respond. I have noticed that my system, even with a high speed connection, is slow when the anti-virus is downloading an update.

I would guess that you have more running than you think. If you do a CTRL-ALT-Delete and then look at the processes taht are running in the Task Manager, you will see several things running. If you are curious about any of them, do a google search on the process and you should find some kind of description.

Let us know how things go.

Collapse -
thanks again
by Ulha / June 30, 2006 1:32 AM PDT

Of course I'll let you know, if/when problem resolved. For the moment I can't bear to think about it as have a big job to finish - scared of doing more harm than good!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?