General discussion

MS Publisher 2007 product key not recognized

I have posted the following at MS Publisher forum and at Tech Guy with no responses. Can anyone help?

I recently reformatted my hard drive and I am trying to re-install MS Publisher 2007 (a stand alone, not a part of the Office Suite). When I fill in my product key, it is not recognized, though I was very careful in entering the right numbers and letters. If this entry needs to be case specific, I am in trouble because I'm not sure which is which from my handwritten notes. Is there some way of getting around this? I had originally registered the product when I bought it a few years ago.

Thanks much,

Warren Cassell

I have Windows Xp on a dell desktop

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: MS Publisher 2007 product key not recognized
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: MS Publisher 2007 product key not recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Your own notes

Where did you get this Publisher installer from? The product key should have been supplied with it.

Mark

- Collapse -

I have the product key from the original Disc used to install the program before I had reformatted my drive. When I try to re-install and am asked for the product key, I type in the number I had saved. When the last digit is typed in, I get a message "product key not recognized."
Cheers,
Warren

- Collapse -
It's not case specific

But if your handwriting is such that you can't see the difference between l and L, it might be even more difficult to see the difference between digit 1 and lowercase l and uppercase I or digit 0 and letter O. In such a case it's best to use the original printed source of the product key that's on the CD-box.

If it was accepted a few years ago it will be accepted now if you type exactly the same. So, obviousy, you type something different. Keep trying. Or buy a new key.

Kees

Kees

- Collapse -

The product key does not contain 1,l,0 or O.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Cheers,
Warren

- Collapse -
Re: product key

I didn't know that. Thanks for the explanation. But, alas, it doesn't help you.

Still, I stick to what I said: if you type the same product key as the first time, it will be accepted. So my conclusion is you type something different.

Kees

- Collapse -
Re: I don't think so.

Sorry, by accident I deleted your answer saying that you don't think so, because you tried a lot of variations with no results.

Then - if you're sure you're typing the right key, it's time to contact Microsoft about the issue. It's their product key and they know the rules.

Kees

- Collapse -

Well, as I mentioned before, I posted this problem in the MS Forum and there was no response. I have no way of getting in touch with Microsoft unless I pay for it. Since I already paid for the original MS Publisher 2003 and for the Publisher 2007 update, I am loathe to give them more money. If you have an email address I could use without paying for it, I would appreciate knowing what it is.
Thanks much.
Cheers,
Warren

CNET Forums

Forum Info