Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

MS Picture It! has gotten "jumpy"

by jco / February 27, 2007 4:28 AM PST

Dell Dimension 8200 running Windows XP, SP2 and all post-SP2 updates. Phoenix BIOS; 512 MB RAM; Pentium 4 processor, 2000 Mhz; 1702 FP LCD; Brother aio; the system is about 4.5 years old (printer is newer), and I hope I haven't forgotten too much.

I have Picture It 2002, which I use a lot, as I enjoy photo manipulation. I'm rather amazed at how much I've been able to do with the program, and it's still working, but within the last few days, whatever picture I'm working on is a little "jumpy."

It's not a constant thing. It happens when I first open a photo with Picture It, and when I click on some editing option (ie: Touchup, Frames and Edge Effects, etc.)The photo jumps for an instant, very slightly, and then settles down, until I employ another editing option. Then, the performance is repeated.

This has never happened until the last few days. I suspect I messed something up when I was trying to stop a jumpy optical mouse by installing new mouse and nvidia drivers.

Unfortunately, that didn't stop the mouse from jumping; returning to the former drivers doesn't stop it, either; and former or newer drivers don't stop the Picture It pictures from jumping, either. But I never had the jumping in Picture It until I messed with the aforementioned drivers.

I've tried various mouse settings (slower, faster); I've checked and unchecked "Enhanced pointer precision." I've used various surfaces for the mouse. Right now, I'm using a cloth covered with plain white paper -- a hint I pulled from the internet.

Also, I've completely uninstalled Picture It, (including removal of any remaining program files and registry entries) and then reinstalled. Oh, and throughout my 4.5 years of loving this system, I've done four clean installs. The entire system has always been great -- so maybe I'm nuts to worry about some jumpiness in Picture it. But here you have it: I'm worried.

AVG Pro shows no viruses; Spybot shows no problems at all; I use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, which also seem to reduce my risk of viruses and all manner of crudwear.

I don't know if the picture jumping is a serious problem, but if anybody knows anything that might help, I surely appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Picture It! has gotten "jumpy"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Picture It! has gotten "jumpy"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Another jumpy mouse.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 4:41 AM PST
Collapse -
jumpy picture and jumpy mouse
by jco / February 27, 2007 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Another jumpy mouse.

Thanks, Bob, and for including the link. If I learn anything amazing, I'll let you know

Collapse -
jumpy mouse
by jco / February 27, 2007 9:39 AM PST

I've continued research on the jumpy mouse issue, and did find this; 1) some printers "call home," apparently so manufacturers will know something about their useage, and this is suspected as a cause of jumpy optical mice; 2) modems or other serial devices sharing the same io base or irq are another suspect. (Please note: This is pretty much Greek to me).

Quite a few people are reporting improved performance when optical mice are used on plain white paper. Others are using something called a "black rat pad."

Can't keyboard very well, as I just cut my finger, but wanted to add this, in case it might help somebody else. Thanks again.

Collapse -
(NT) Have you tried replacing the mouse?
by Kiddpeat / February 27, 2007 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: jumpy mouse
Collapse -
jumpy mouse
by jco / February 27, 2007 9:41 PM PST

Hello, Kiddpeat. No, I haven't changed this particular mouse. I went from a ball mouse (included w/our system when we bought it) that finally got "sticky" and rather tired (even with cleaning) after about three years.

I tried a new Belkin ball mouse, but didn't get along well with it from the beginning. That's when I tried the MS Basic Optical (USB) mouse that I still have. It started out fine, and then started the jumpy behavior.

It doesn't really bother me, with the stuff I do, but my boyfriend likes to play Mahjongg, and it gives him problems. Especially when it leaps up to click him out of the game. That's really weird, and I can't figure it at all. Thanks.

Collapse -
So, you haven't tried replacing the mouse?
by Kiddpeat / February 28, 2007 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: jumpy mouse

Hint: sometimes even optical mice fail.

Collapse -
jumpy mouse
by jco / February 28, 2007 8:39 AM PST

No, I haven't tried replacing this mouse. I suppose that's the most logical next step, and I've heard mostly good things about Logitech. Thanks again

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.