Computer Help forum

Question

MS Outlook - Autofill no longer working

Woke up today and autofill no longer works at all. I've had this on the system for years, no problem. Will not auto fill when I'm addressing emails. I went into the email options to make sure that the "suggest names when filling in......." was checked. It was. I went ahead and unchecked it, then went back in and "rechecked" it. I have no idea what to do. Someone else suggested renaming the .nk2 file, but I couldn't find any.

Please help - - my business has me emailing constantly and looking back for several addresses for each email is becoming time consuming! THANKS in advance!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Outlook - Autofill no longer working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Outlook - Autofill no longer working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly I'm seeing too many causes.

In reply to: MS Outlook - Autofill no longer working

From the Skype click to call issue to a few hundred others. Many will not understand why Skype would interfere or write "I didn't change a thing."

My advice is to use system restore NOW and hope you did reboot. Sometimes it's that simple. Other times it's a long hard slog through every app.
Bob

Collapse -
System restore

In reply to: Sadly I'm seeing too many causes.

Thank you for your prompt reply. If I do a system restore, will I lose data or settings in current programs? I'm nervous since you stressed doing the restore NOW. Should I just bring in my laptop to the Geek Squad?

I don't use skype, but I did perform a virus scan with Macafee, which found nothing wrong after an entire 8 hours of scanning the laptop. Not having any other problems that I'm aware of.

Collapse -
Ouch.

In reply to: System restore

Did you reveal you don't backup your stuff?

System restore is not supposed to touch our files. Yes it will at times makes changes to settings but isn't this the entire reason for this feature? That is, go back to when it worked?

8 hours to scan a machine seems to be excessive. Is there anything like Spybot installed? There is a know conflict with part of that which causes excessive times. There may be other apps that conflict but I have to stick with the most common as listing them all is not possible.

Also, there is the PRIVACY COMPONENT to McAfee that if set to high or maximum should stop copy and paste.
Bob

Collapse -
issues

In reply to: Ouch.

Actually, I do back up my files. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday - faithfully. But I just don't know much about the restore and someone told me that if I did a restore it would wipe away everything. Now I know not to believe everything you hear - but it just scared me when you said 'now'. I run my business on this laptop, so I have specialized software, Quickbooks, etc. I hate to screw anything up.... that is why I joined this forum - so I can chat with someone like you who obviously knows everything computer.

I don't have Spybot on the machine. I have CCleaner but I'm not a huge fan of it and haven't used it in a while. seems like I'm going to have to suck it up and take it somewhere to get fixed. Last time it was at GeekSquad for 5 days. That is an eternity to my business. I hobbled along using my iPad, but I really hate to go without the laptop that long. Thought I would try this forum first in case it would be an easy fix.

Thanks Bob.

Collapse -
Let's not confuse our "restore" features.

In reply to: issues

Collapse -
Answer
MS Outlook - Autofill no longer working

This has happened to me at work too many times to count and it is SO frustrating (with Outlook 2003) For me, I have noticed it has happened sometimes after Windows updates. Sometimes I am lucky and if I close it out and re-open it, it will be back to normal. Sometimes I completely reboot and it will help. I am beginning to wonder, though, if updates might have something to do with it. Have you done any Windows updates recently? Have you closed out the program and re-opened it to see if that works?

Collapse -
Or. there is a clipboard service

That was shutdown during the update. Not much has changed since the early days of Windows in that we must reboot once in a while.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.