Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

MS Office Register or Not,that is the question

by kameha1 / November 9, 2007 1:16 AM PST

just purchased and received a new LEGALLY PURCHASED MS Office, before installing it I wonder what if I do not register on install, I know that on the Win OS will not be able to update security updates, but on a MS Office not sure am concern about it.
What are the pitfalls and downside of not registering, and even is possible to do an install?
Am asking before I run the new install
thanks
David
Emachine T2862
WinXP Home SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Office Register or Not,that is the question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Office Register or Not,that is the question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me share the BIG BENEFIT of registering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 1:19 AM PST

Let's say I lost my Office CDs. Since I registered, the replacement CDs are all of 35 or less bucks. The poor soul that didn't register must find receipts and prove they bought it.

Your choice. Some find reasons not to...

Bob

Collapse -
by kameha1 / November 9, 2007 1:31 AM PST

Hi Bob, thanks for your comment, you are right and certainly a consideration, now will the install finish and there no timetables like if I do not register in one month after the month the software is not longer functional?, the computer goes up on smoke and I get locked out of my place?
David

Collapse -
With full retail versions..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 1:37 AM PST

There is no such lock. It includes the rights to move to another machine.

Bob

Collapse -
by kameha1 / November 9, 2007 2:38 AM PST

thank you Bob
David

Collapse -
MS Office to register or not, that is the question
by zredhot / November 11, 2007 8:52 PM PST

It depends though on the type of MS Office you have.
I have MS Office Student and Home 2007. After 1st install, mine allows me to not register up to 25 times. They call it a grace period. However, after the 25th time, the software goes into Limited Functionality mode and I cannot edit or save anything in Word or Excel until I register the software. I have the full version. I think it's a new tactic by Microsoft. I personally don't like it.

Collapse -
But do you like the Student pricing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2007 10:01 PM PST

You pay in the mid 100 bucks for Student and some 500 bucks for the full version.

What are you willing to give up for that student version to get the price?

-> Also if you truly think it's evil or other, why don't you use Open Office?

Bob

Collapse -
by kameha1 / November 12, 2007 2:28 AM PST

Thank you for your comments, for clarification, the copy I have is part of the student/faculty from the university, no the student version available for public use.
I found that each University has a different arrangement, some schools will give a license for as long is employed or student, others year to year etc, found mine is only licensed for 1 year and the license must be renewed after that, that is why I was wondering on not registering, but according with this rule the functinability dies after a year.
That creates a problem as after graduation will end up with a non functional pice of junk.
On the comments for Office.org, I really like it and use it as well as have a dual boot to Ubuntu, the bad part is if you use any formulas defined on Excel. Office.org will not replicate 100% as I know been Excel propietary.and there is the rub. Otherwise I do not use/need the rest of garbage MS Office offers.
Well, thank you for your comments, may have to buy Office Student, is limited but since I only use Excel will do

Collapse -
Yes, there is a question here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2007 5:39 AM PST

The "rules" are well laid out as to licenses, date of expiry and more.

I know some feel like it should be otherwise but isn't the question more about the owner of a product should be able to license it as they see fit and if the market doesn't buy it then the owners usually get the message and adjust to the market?

I think it's a fine discussion item.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.