Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

MS OFFICE 2K7 HATERS UNITE

by AHDAHD / June 21, 2009 4:39 AM PDT

THOSE USERS OF MS OFFICE 2007 WHO OBJECT TO THIS PRODUCT MUST UNITE AGAINST THE MIGHTY OMNIPOTENT PUBLISHER TO PROVIDE PATCHES FOR PREVIOUS EDITIONS OF MS OFFICE FOR VISTA COMPATABILITY.
ROBO

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS OFFICE 2K7 HATERS UNITE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS OFFICE 2K7 HATERS UNITE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Office 2007
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2009 5:07 AM PDT

Those users of Office 2007 who object to this product should have been buying Office 2003 (as far is I know it's fully compatible, and comparable in price) or downloaded free OpenOffice.

Why not post the details: what incompatibility in what program and what version of MS Office? It would be interesting to see the list.

Kees

Collapse -
Its like MS ran out of ideas and just decided
by minimalist / June 21, 2009 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Office 2007

to change stuff for the sake of changing it. Office 2007 has the WORST UI design I have ever seen in a major software release. "The Ribbon" is a clunky, half baked idea.

Not a single person I have talked to in my office of 35 likes any part of Office 2007. Having to hunt down the little unmarked graphic doo-dads that opens up submenu after submenu to get to a basic command that used to be clearly visible in the menu is a huge waste of time and energy.

Our office will not be upgrading again and is considering a third party alternative.

Collapse -
For a few dollars ...
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2009 5:45 PM PDT

you can buy a third party addon that restores the old menu's in Office 2007. If the new version really is a "huge waste of time and energy" your boss might find it a VERY good investment of the companies money.

Kees

Collapse -
About three seconds of research...
by Slikkster / June 21, 2009 10:39 PM PDT

Would lead you to a free (for personal use) GUI add-on for O2K7 that brings the old menu functionality back. It adds a tab on the ribbon (see screenshot in the link below) labeled "Menu", and you just stay within that tab to use the old menu structure. Geez, people...as Arnold once said "Stop Whining!"

http://lifehacker.com/5166887/ubitmenu-brings-the-microsoft-office-2003-menu-back-to-office-2007

The free version is free. The commercial version is ~14.00 plus 90 cents per client. Big Whoop.

Collapse -
With 35 people ...
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2009 10:43 PM PDT

that's a lot of money in this economy, considering they already spent a fortune to buy and learn a program they didn't want :-).

Kees

Collapse -
A lot of money?
by Slikkster / June 21, 2009 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: With 35 people ...

$45.58 <b>total</b> for 35 clients? I guess we don't agree on what constitutes "a lot of money". Not to mention the fact that productivity will go up substantially if these individuals truly don't like the ribbon interface. That, then, falls into the "priceless" category.

Collapse -
Just to be clear...
by Slikkster / June 21, 2009 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: A lot of money?

$45.58 / 35 clients = about one dollar and 30 cents ($1.30) per client. That's pretty darn cheap, in my view.

Collapse -
Sorry. It was meant as sarcasm.
by Kees Bakker / June 22, 2009 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Just to be clear...

But you didn't understand. Sorry again.

Kees

Collapse -
My bad...
by Slikkster / June 22, 2009 5:29 AM PDT

I should have gotten that given your comments earlier in the thread. Doh!

Collapse -
Web address for Ubitmenu download?
by wheelwinner / July 10, 2009 1:16 PM PDT

Thank you so much for that information ... I have been going mad trying to use the new methodology and it just takes too much energy! Your suggestion sounds like a godsend

Ann

Collapse -
Here's where to get it:
by Slikkster / July 10, 2009 9:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
nup
by weevil_ / June 21, 2009 7:37 PM PDT

2007 UI is vastly superior to the old one. Much more logical and quicker to use.

Collapse -
Not everybody agrees with you.
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2009 7:40 PM PDT
In reply to: nup

But most people need some time at least to get accustomed to it. And maybe they even start to love it, like you do.

Kees

Collapse -
IMO there is nothing logical or quick about the Ribbon.
by minimalist / June 22, 2009 3:54 AM PDT

The most egregious error it makes is that it departs from unified computing standards that made GUI OS's like Windows and Mac so easy to use in the first place. If every program feels free to reinvent the wheel then the end user ends up wasting time figuring out a new paradigm for every single piece of software.

Collapse -
Yeah...
by Slikkster / June 22, 2009 5:43 AM PDT

Kind of like having to spend time learning the latest multiplayer game. Darn it! The keyboard shortcuts are different! They should all look the same!

I don't want to live in a world where every software app is always going to follow the same menu structure ad infinitum. At some point, you have to update it. And, some people will moan and groan, while others say "it's about freaking time!". From my reading, there does appear to be a split. I'd say, though, that the people who have taken the time to learn the Ribbon by and large tend to like it.

About the only thing I can agree on with this switch is that they should have provided a way to opt back to classic mode. But the very cheap (and even free) add-on I linked to above gives you the best of both worlds. You can stay within the classic structure in the Menu tab, or use the Ribbon, itself.

Collapse -
Consistancy is vital, yes
by Nicholas Buenk / June 22, 2009 1:58 PM PDT

It is the most important thing you need for an easy to use system.

But don't you tHink the menu, toolbar paradigm just was not serving an app as complex as micrsoft office well? The menu was a maze of commands and sub-commands with multiple lays of dialogue boxes under those...

Collapse -
The menu and palette system ties it all together.
by minimalist / June 22, 2009 11:25 PM PDT

Its what makes using Photoshop and Dreamweaver not all that different (at a root level) than using Autocad or Quark Express. Good UI design should be simple to get into for the casual user yet have depth for the power user. Office 2007 fails on this account in my opinion.

The analogy to games might actually be appropriate but not for the reason you might think. When you look at how huge an industry casual gaming has become you understand the appeal of simplicity. People love these kinds of games because, unlike the games for the hardcore players, they are easy to get into and the controls are simple and intuitive.

Collapse -
2007 UI superior? Not Really
by stringboy / June 22, 2009 4:31 AM PDT

I have used it for 2 years and it has been depressing. The main problem is you can't have multiple ribbons visible at once, and, when you tab to another ribbon, thinks move.

What is maddening is it MS could not see fit to allow for the old menus (not new menus incorporating new parts of Office 07) and claiming at the same time as more user friendly. Not for an experienced user.

Collapse -
It's Progress...
by n74jw / June 28, 2009 10:48 AM PDT

In Microsoft's eyes, anyway. If I were on the office 2007 team, I would have made a provision to revert back to the previous version's UI. The vast technical differences between the two office platforms prevent this, but it would not have been impossible to facilitate. Hell, they are Microsoft, they can do this if it were in their interest. Making their latest office product easy to use for everyone should be amongst their priorities, but it is not.

Microsoft is in the midst of a decline in the market space. Poor product releases and a lack of true understanding in the consumer space has steered this course. Soon the enterprise will be next...

I also find the Ribbon UI nice and neat and much cleaner to use, but that is me. 90% of the folks I talk to about it, hate Office 2007's UI and sluggishness. For example, the default menus in MS Access 2007 contain the top features I regularly use in the database. I never have to go any deeper in the menus at all. That is at work where someone else pays the licensing for this ridiculously priced suite. If the aquisitions were up to me, we would all be running OpenOffice 3.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!