Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

MS Office 2003

by beachangel1 / December 19, 2007 10:15 AM PST

I have a an HP Pavilion laptop (Windows XP) that will not let me open email attachments in my Outlook Express and Yahoo emails that are from MS Word and Excel. The laptop has 2003 MS Office pre-installed on it. I never did register it or use it. Could that be causing the problem?? If not does anyone have any sugestions on what I need to do so I can open these attachments? I use my laptop for my job.

Thanks so much for any assistance you can give me,
Renee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Office 2003
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Office 2003
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
suggestions
by MIK3MAN / December 19, 2007 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: MS Office 2003

Hi there,

First, make sure that you save your attachments to the hard drive (save to the desktop or something)

Next, open your office program and choose file>open point to the document you saved to the hard drive.

Let me know what happens after you try it this way

Mike

Collapse -
Suggestions - Reply
by beachangel1 / December 19, 2007 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: suggestions

Hi Mike,
I did what you said and opened the attachment and said it to my hard drive. I then went to Excel and did file, open, changed the files type to Excel and there it was. I guess that is like a back door so to speak. Is there a reason why I can't just open the attachment from the email?

I appreciate your help.
Renee

Collapse -
file associations
by MIK3MAN / December 19, 2007 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: Suggestions - Reply

Renee,

I am guessing that the reason why you cant open the file directly from your email is because of file association. In english, your computer doesn't recognize that the file attachment is supposed to be opened with Office 2003.

IF... this is the case, you can try going back to your email and instead of saving the file to the hard drive choose open. What you are going to have to look for here is an "open with" option. After you find that option you point to either Word or Excel (usually in c drive>program files>microsoft office 2003>word.exe or excel.exe) depending on the type of file (.doc, or .xls)

Also check to make sure these files are .doc or .xls and not zip files.

If all else fails you have the back door Happy

Mike

Collapse -
trial version vs full version
by beachangel1 / December 20, 2007 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: file associations

I appreciate all of your help. I'm thinking that I'm having this problem because the trial version has expired and I didn't purchase the full version. It seems to me that if I purchase the full version that all these issues would be resolved. Am I right about this? If I am could you tell where me I could go buy or download MS Office 2003.

Again, thanks so much for your assistance.
Renee

Collapse -
Just one other thing about saving email attachments
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 20, 2007 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: file associations

Sorry to butt in.

It's always best to save any email attachments to the hard disk first because of security concerns. Email attachments can harbor and hide viruses, and this is a favorite way of virus writers to spread viruses.

By saving the attachment to the hard disk first, (the Desktop is a good, temporary, place), you can then scan the attachment with your anti-virus software to check it is not infected.

Mark

Collapse -
MS Office 2003 trial vs full version
by beachangel1 / December 20, 2007 7:10 PM PST

I would like to say again that I let the trial version of the 2003 MS Office that came installed on my laptop expire. Do you have to have MS Office full version in order to open the email attachments that are in either word or excel? The only time I get these attachments are from my boss since they are forms that I need to have for work.

Again, thanks for the help.
Renee

Collapse -
Re: MS Office
by Kees Bakker / December 20, 2007 7:44 PM PST

Renee,

If it's expired it won't work. Things you can do (after uninstalling this trial version):
1. Ask your boss to buy/pay MS Office for you. That's reasonable if he expects you to use it for work at home.
2. Buy/pay it yourself.
3. Download free OpenOffice (from www.openoffice.com) and use that to work with these files.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
MS Office 2003 or open office
by beachangel1 / December 20, 2007 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: Re: MS Office

Hi Kees,
I am not familiar with Open Office. Will it work with MS Word documents and MS Excel? If so I will download it. If not can you tell me where I could find MS Office 2003 to purchase a full version? I have tried to find MS Office 2003 full version and am not having any luck.

Thanks again for your help,
Renee

Collapse -
OpenOffice ...
by Kees Bakker / December 20, 2007 10:13 PM PST

is fully compatible with MS Office (although macro's won't work). Worth a try, isn't it?

What I forgot to tell: if you only need to READ (or VIEW and PRINT) the documents, you can download a free reader from office.microsoft.com. To edit them, you need the full suite.

If you can't find Office 2003, Office 2007 would work also, of course.
I find it in top position at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_1?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=microsoft%20office%202003

And http://software.pricegrabber.com/suites/m/991291/ lists 23 shops.
But the full program is a lot of money, so I'd start with trying OpenOffice.

Kees

Collapse -
Open Office
by beachangel1 / December 20, 2007 11:33 PM PST
In reply to: OpenOffice ...

I will download the office open and see how that works for me. I can't believe how expensive the 2003 full version is considering that there is 2007 version. I have a feeling in the near future I will buy MS Office 2003 since I will need to be able to edit and won't be able to do that when Open Office.

Thanks again for all of your help. Have a Merry Christmas.
Renee

Collapse -
I can edit MS Word 2003 docs in Open Office
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2007 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Open Office

"I will need to be able to edit and won't be able to do that when Open Office."

I'm unsure where this is coming from. Can you tell me a bit more?

Bob

Collapse -
Editing MS Word 2003 docs in Open Office
by beachangel1 / December 21, 2007 4:28 AM PST

Hi Bob,m
I was told in an earlier post in this same thread that I would not be able to edit email attachments that I get from my boss that are in MS Word and MS Excel with open office. I am glad to see that you are able to edit Documents through Open Office. I will download Open Office tonight. I am sure I can find Open Office here on the CNet downloads.

Thanks so much for letting me know about Open Office.
Renee

Collapse -
"I would not be able to edit email attachments"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2007 4:30 AM PST

Now that might be true. I would have to save the attachment first then edit it. The INTEGRATION of the email client and the editor is the issue here. It's a minor issue to me given the bucks.

Bob

Collapse -
Not able to edit email attachments
by beachangel1 / December 21, 2007 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: MS Office 2003

Bob,
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying that you save the email attachments that you get first? Then after you've saved those attachments that you go back and open the attachments and at that time are able to edit those attachments?

Thanks so much for your help,
Renee

Collapse -
(NT) Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2007 5:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Can't found free open office
by beachangel1 / December 21, 2007 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Bob,
Sorry to bother you again but I can't found the free download for Open office. Do you know where I can go to find it? I looked on CNet's downloads but nothing up came up for it.

Thanks again,
Renee

Collapse -
Over at openoffice.org.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2007 5:58 AM PST
Collapse -
If you've got the right software, of course.
by Kees Bakker / December 21, 2007 6:46 AM PST

And mostly they open from the mail then also, I'd say.

By the way, I've reread my posts, and I really think I nowhere said that OpenOffice could only read the files. With the Microsoft viewers you can only read. With OpenOffice you can open, edit and save them, and create new ones also. I'm sure of that. All I said: macro's don't work.

Kees

Collapse -
Right Software
by beachangel1 / December 21, 2007 7:33 AM PST

Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood your earlier post.

Thanks to everyone who helped me to get this figured out.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

Renee

Collapse -
Yes to Open Office
by MIK3MAN / December 22, 2007 5:42 AM PST

Renee,

Its been afew days since I checked this topic. I second the option for Open Office as a free alternative to Microsoft.

It is the best free office package in my opinion.

I also always save my attachments to hard drive first. Its good practice to do this anyways for security.

http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

Good Luck

Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?