Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MS Help & Support won't work

by mlasjc / October 10, 2005 5:47 AM PDT

I have a Dell 2400 computer that is acouple of years old and came with Windows XP Home Edition pre-installed. I have since downloaded and installed Windows XP Service Packs 1 & 2. When I click on Start/Help and Support nothing happens. The processer light stays on for a few seconds and then stops. Other than that, the system appears to operate fairly smoothly. Can someone help.

Thanks

Ron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Help & Support won't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Help & Support won't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MS Help & Support won't work
by byker49 / October 10, 2005 5:58 AM PDT

I also have a Dell. Check to see if the little Dell icon pops up in your system tray(over by the clock) in the bottom right hand corner after starting the Dell support feature. If you have a lot of stuff in your tray you may not even notice it popping up.

Collapse -
Re: MS Help & Support won't work
by Tufenuf / October 10, 2005 5:58 AM PDT

Ron, Go to the link below and under the letter "H" scroll down to "Start Menu/Help and Support doesn't work" or "To reinstall Help and Support:" where you'll find possible fixes.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Help & Support won't work
by byker49 / October 10, 2005 6:05 AM PDT

Also try F1 on keyboard.

Collapse -
My understanding is that MS
by Ray Harinec / October 10, 2005 6:06 AM PDT

gives Dell etc a huge price break on the Operating System, on the total condition that Dell will provide ALL of the support for the Op System. The Dell CD is a form of an OEM CD.

Possibly tufenuf is correct, but if not.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.