Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

MS Equation 3.0 garbles characters

by sidbhatia / November 15, 2004 7:33 AM PST

I have an XP Pro (SP2) machine running MS Office XP and MS Publisher 2003. Was trying to create equations today in MS Word and found that it's not working:

ALL signs (+, -, =, x, etc) show up as wingdings/little icons (arrows, etc.) or as a little vertical rectangle.

Also the entire Equation element is a dark grey color until clicked on for editing.

Needless to say, editing the equation does not solve the problem.

PLEASE HELP!! This is urgent.

I don't think SP2 is the problem - I have another machine same as above, w/o Publisher 2003, and I'm wondering if the combination of Office XP and Publisher 2003 is causing the problem.

All help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Equation 3.0 garbles characters
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Equation 3.0 garbles characters
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: MS Equation 3.0 garbles characters
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 7:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: MS Equation 3.0 garbles characters
by sidbhatia / November 15, 2004 8:31 AM PST

Thanks for those links - they weren't entirely helpful, but they did send me in the right direction. It is a font issue.

The machine in question has Print Artist (DTP software) installed on it, which comes with fonts which are installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Broderbund\Core Fonts. The program then puts shortcuts in the C:\windows\fonts folder.

Step 1 was to find the location of the actual fonts, and then remove all the shortcuts. This seems to have solved the issue.

Just to be certain, I am also looking into doing a repair installation on the machine to get rid of any other lurking issues that might be problematic in the future - any thoughts on that would be helpful.

Thanks again

Collapse -
You didn't note that other software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 8:41 AM PST

But its good you are working your issue.

Abotu Repair Install, I rarely have to do such. I find the IEFIX and a collection of antiparasite (Spyware) tools are all I've ever needed.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!