HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MS automatic updates. Gave Yahoo????

by Ray Harinec / February 15, 2007 8:27 AM PST

A friend says that he had the message that there were critical updates to be installed. After installation everything became Yahoo including email.

He can still get to his OE.

Anyone have any idea what may have happened. I have not personally ever seen his system.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS automatic updates. Gave Yahoo????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS automatic updates. Gave Yahoo????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My guess is a Yahoo tool bar install has
by acoxon1274 / February 15, 2007 8:46 AM PST

happened. I have been seeing Yahoo and Google tool bar install as part of Adobe Flash player and other downloads. If you fail to uncheck the box, bam you get Yahoo tool bar. Maybe this is what happened? If it happened on an auto update I would be very upset, I hate having things I don't want dumpped on my computer. It's bad enough when I miss the box to uncheck but if it is happening on auto update that just blows. I have turned my auto update off and will watch for this. I hope it's not happening but till I know more I will be very careful when downloading from even main line sites.

Collapse -
He said that the message said that there were updates
by Ray Harinec / February 15, 2007 9:59 AM PST

to install. He apparently had MS updates set to download, but not install unless he elected to. Of course this his statements to me, but he has a few computers at different locations that he uses mostly for his profession as a middle manager in a builder inspection company, and has no such problems over the years. Most internet access is to GIS info and building code info.

I guess that he didn't read the message closely enough. It has certainly made him angry.

Collapse -
Adobe
by Stan Chambers / February 15, 2007 11:29 AM PST

Hi Ray, I'll take a stab at this. The Adobe Reader has an updater that periodically checks for updates. This may be the culprit.
I recently installed the Yahoo toolbar while installing some other program.
Tell your friend to check in Add/Remove Programs for the toolbar.
I was able to uninstall it from there.

Collapse -
i think Stan hit the nail on the head
by jonah jones / February 15, 2007 2:53 PM PST
In reply to: Adobe

after my recent re-install of XP, i got the "a new version of Adobe Flash is needed" box, sure enough, the "install Yahoo toolbar" box is checked by default....

jonah

Collapse -
Thanx much Stan and Jonah
by Ray Harinec / February 15, 2007 11:26 PM PST

that sure sounds like it.

Thanx also to the othe replies.

I'll print these all out and give it to the person that has the problem.

Collapse -
Also Bus, I read your reply too fast and
by Ray Harinec / February 15, 2007 11:30 PM PST

missed the adobe comment. Sorry.

Collapse -
(NT) No problem, it's cool, Thx
by acoxon1274 / February 16, 2007 8:04 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.