Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

MS Access: help to lookup items & sends item info to databas

by fetoo86 / November 25, 2011 3:36 PM PST

I want to develop (create) a database using MS Access 2007 or 2010 about Amazon.com.

My ideas are:
1. Create a form to lookup items in the actual amazon website, and then sort the results of the search.
2. View the results. If I select Add to Cart or Add to Wish List, send the item information to my Access database.

Can anyone please tell me how to do those two steps? I really need help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Access: help to lookup items & sends item info to databas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Access: help to lookup items & sends item info to databas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Amazon
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 8:08 PM PST

Well, external datasources in Access have to be accessible in one of the following ways:
- address book or MAPI-folder in MS Exchange
- a Sharepoint site
- an ODBC driver
So the first step is to contact Amazon and ask them for details about their database and how to access it. I'm afraid they won't tell you.

So you need to do screenscraping. Write a VBA module that sends the right search URL to Amazon, and parses the answer. Then put the articles found by that parsing in a table and show that. If you've done that succesfully, you'll find it trivial to select an item from the result list and store it in another table.
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1497399 tells how to call an URL and save the answer in a file. But the last part isn't even necessary.

Sorting, by the way, isn't done in step 1. It's only done in query that fills the form you use to view the results.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Commercial Software
by JessGless / February 19, 2012 9:10 AM PST

Sounds like you're running a business and constantly watching what you buy.
So, why not spend a few bucks and buy some commercial software?
It should be a tax write off for you.
Then you don't get ulcers trying to MAKE something work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.