HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

MS Access 2007's Annoying Read Only Message

by bruceckusa / March 21, 2007 1:05 AM PDT

We just downloaded and installed MS Access 2007 and whenever I open a database, I get this annoying message:

"This database has been opened read-only. You can only change data in linked tables. To make design changes, save a copy of the database."

It will not let me edit my database without saving to a new access file. I don't want to create a new file. I just want to open this with full access.

I have access 2007 running on Windows XP Professional SP2.

Access's new Trust Center explains its new security messures, but provides NOTHING about turning off this feature.

Has anyone else ran into this and how can I resolve it. Of course, Microsoft's web site is no help, as usual.

Bruce

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MS Access 2007's Annoying Read Only Message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MS Access 2007's Annoying Read Only Message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If I recall the download version is indeed a demo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 1:20 AM PDT

And you can't use it to edit tables. You'll need the "real" version from Microsoft installed from their CD to gain full access (pun unintentional) to said files.

Bob

Collapse -
Actually, I purchased it, not downloaded it.
by bruceckusa / March 21, 2007 1:42 AM PDT

I did not mean to say I downloaded it. My mistake. We have the full copy of MS Office 2007 Ultimate and still have this problem.

Collapse -
"I don't want to create a new file."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 1:48 AM PDT

Sorry, I'd just follow that instruction and move forward. I'm sure some won't do that so they'll be stuck.

There is a reason why some of the demo databases are like this. It's so people (other users on the machine) can start from there and move forward. It's also a bad idea to edit the example databases since they are not in a good directory for you to backup.

I could go on about this but you might be stuck on that "I don't want to create a new file" and I won't be able to help.

Bob

Collapse -
Not a demo database.
by bruceckusa / March 21, 2007 1:54 AM PDT

hey Bob, thanks for your quick reply, but the database is one I created from scratch, from a blank database, not a demo.

I added tables, fields, and records and then saved the file. When I reopened Access 2007, I get this. Now, the weird thing is that it only happens sometimes. I don't understand why. So, in other words, I open my database in Access 2007 and get this message and the read-only state. I close it and go through this maybe 2 or 3 times before I can make changes. I cannot understand why this happens sometimes, and not always or never.

Collapse -
That's 2 corrections so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a demo database.

Your first post noted one thing and I was incorrect. I was also unaware of the database particulars and since it was a new install (your words) I took that and what happens to some to piece together the usual picture.

Since it's a bug, call Microsoft and see if they offer a patch for this issue.

Remember that if said file is on a shared drive, Access may have the next person open in read only, but you haven't written about networks so I'll stop why this is an issue here.

Bob

Collapse -
File is on my PC, but PC still on a shared network.
by bruceckusa / March 21, 2007 2:04 AM PDT

Thanks Bob, you are pointing me in the right direction Wink Now, it is on my local C: drive and the folder itself is not shared, but my PC is in my company network.

Now, a little more background, I am connecting to it with ASP.NET. So, the ACCDB file sits on c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ which is created by Internet Information Server.

Any suggestions there?

Collapse -
Since you are running IIS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 2:10 AM PDT

Which I can only GUESS from your post then it will lock the file and you'll get the message.

This is not a bug but what happens. I'll share we ejected Access for use with web servers (along with IIS) and moved to the more stable and extendable MySQL, Apache combo. No file locks there.

-> Again, all appears to be working proper from what you wrote in your last post. IIS has your file locked.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks. I will change the DSN and see if that helps
by bruceckusa / March 21, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

Maybe being under IIS is doing it. I will move the database and create a new DSN!

Thanks for your help, Bob.

Collapse -
Bob, exact same problem.
by ehjeter / January 14, 2010 1:05 AM PST

IIS has your file locked, create new DSN? I know IIS is Internet Information Center, but, DSN I think is Data Source Name???

Please explain the steps that were involeved in unlocking IIS and the creation of a new DSN...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.