Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MPClient

by hoangtu69 / January 1, 2010 1:19 PM PST

I reinstalled my pc with XP Home Edition with sp2 and sp3. For some reason, when I view all the processes, I see this process MPClient.exe and the problem is whenever I shut down my PC, I will get all those dialog boxes saying MPClient is not responding and I have to click on the close button to close it. It's annoying because there are a lot of these MPClient.exe processes in the task manager and they take up memory. I researched and found out that this process has to do with the Windows Defender. I tried to install Windows Defender and unintall it but this process keeps coming back. Even when I disabled it, it still comes back.

I set up my update notification to notify me when there's an update and for some reason, I don't know why, this MPClient.exe keeps getting installed on my PC.

Can anyone show me how to get rid of it and prevent it from installing on my PC please? This is the 3rd time I had to reinstall my PC and this MPClient.exe keeps getting back.

Thanks
Andy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MPClient
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MPClient
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm, strange one.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: MPClient

That MPClient.exe is not listed in the AnswersThatWork - Task List processes, but Google certainly suggests it is to do with Windows Defender. But then, when I run my own Windows Defender, (version 1.1.1600.0 on Windows Vista), and check my Task Manager Processes, I don't see this listed as a process.

After a search of my hard disks on my system MPClient only shows up as a MPClient.dll, and not as MPClient.exe. But even then, it only appears in my other (dual boot) partition of Windows 7 RC, (a tester version of Win 7). it does not appear on my Vista hard drive.

Also, I have to wonder why it appeared after a re-install of XP, if that install process did not automatically install Windows Defender. Was this a complete re-install, eg a reformat and install, or was it a repair-install, eg an install over the top of an existing XP install?

Does this process get loaded as part of the "Startup" procedure when you turn the computer on and boot up, or does it appear later?

If it appears as part of the boot up, head over to MSCONFIG, (Start > Run, type in msconfig click OK), and the Startup tab, and look down the list for any startup entries that look like this. If nothing in the Name column, look for Windows Defender in the Location column. You may have to drag the Location column header to the right to see the full path.

If you see it there, remove the tick.

If not, I would start scanning for malware.

Mark

Collapse -
MPClient
by hoangtu69 / January 2, 2010 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm, strange one.

This is a complete reformat and reinstall of XP Home Edition. My understanding is this Windows Defender is standard for Vista and Windows 7. But I'm using XP. I don't know why it keeps appearing. It does not appear under services. This is so weird.

Collapse -
(NT) And what about MSCONFIG?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 2, 2010 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: MPClient
Collapse -
MPClient
by hoangtu69 / January 2, 2010 5:56 AM PST

I did not see it there...I just reformatted my PC again, (The 6th time). Installed sp3 and turned off the Automatic Update feature.

After I restarted the PC, the MPClient.exe is back in the task manager. This is insane.

When I view the disk managment, I see the drive that I formatted along with 2 others with no drive number under the volumne column as below

1) capacity 31MB of type FAT with status healthy EISA configuration
2) capacity 3.14GB with FAT32 status healthy unknown partition

Should I delete these partitions when I formatted my PC also? I suspect it might install something in the drive #1 above.

This is driving me crazy. Please help.

Collapse -
MPClient
by hoangtu69 / January 2, 2010 8:31 AM PST

I do see windows defender folder under program files and it's read only. I can't delete it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.