Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

MP3 Software - What is best?

by Cb21 / January 30, 2006 6:26 AM PST

I recently acquired a Rio Chilba MP3 player (512 Mb). Also, I load it using Win XP Pro SP2 in a AMD 1 Ghz Desktop with 750 Mb RAM, and 160 Gig HD.

The player does great, but I?m not to happy with the software that came with it (Rio Music Manager 2.90). To load the player I often find myself having to take multiple steps, and would like find software that does more than Music Mgr offers.

As a ?wish list?, I?d love to find 1 program that will (all at once would be wonderful):

1. Normalize the volume of everything that is loaded into the player.

2. Convert different file formats to .wma (or mp3).

3. Strip the audio off of video files for loading onto the player.

Currently I?m using an assortment of programs, many from River Past to do the above, but beside the amount of time this takes, the quality of the music is often raped in the process (you ever jogged with an old Victrola???)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MP3 Software - What is best?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MP3 Software - What is best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 6:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Got the perfect software for you
by msinghanand / January 30, 2006 7:03 AM PST

Download Mediamonkey (www.mediamonkey.com) and give it a try. It will meet all your requirements very well and do much much more.

I can rant about MM for hours but lets put it this way, I had Itunes for my wive's Ipod and I uninstalled it and use MM for syncing her Ipod. I myself use a Iriver H320 and seamlessly sync my 18GB collection at USB 2.0 speeds.

Give it a try. Its the only ''try for free'' software I ever tried that never forced me to ''buy''!. I bought a lifetime license for 25 bucks.

Now only if they would not call it Media"Monkey"!

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Cb21 / January 30, 2006 10:13 PM PST

The little monkey looks very, very promising, thanks so much! Thanks to Bob for his link too

Collapse -
Media Monkey
by marcd0ss / January 31, 2006 5:32 AM PST

Does Media Monkey work for other mp3 players too?
I am interested because I have the Jet Audio IAudio U2 and do not like th looks of the software. It has not loaded music for me very well. I feel intimidated by it. I may give the Monkey a Mokey See and Monkey Do.

Thanks for a reply...

md

Collapse -
Mediamonkey should work for you
by msinghanand / January 31, 2006 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: Media Monkey

Hi,

I dont know much about the Jetaudio product range but from what I read about the U2 player it is a USB 2.0 mass storage device and that should work with Mediamonkey.

Mediamonkey basically works with any device that appears as a USB Mass Storage Device. And to my knowledge most mp3 players including the ipod operate on this principle. (The ipod differs in the manner it needs to be synced and MM provides a plug-in for Ipod to handle the difference)

Anyways just download it and give it a shot doesnt hurt. As I said mediamonkey is "clean" (no spyware/adware) software that does not annoy you about buying it.

Hope that helps!

Collapse -
Will it work with this?
by Tallcoolone / January 31, 2006 9:44 AM PST

I've got a Gigabeat X30, and everything about it is awesome... except the software, which is unstable and puts a proprietary encryption on every file you transfer. The Gigabeat is a mass storage device, but when you transfer stuff to it with Windows Explorer, the player doesn't recognize it. It says the files are there, but you can't get to them from the Gigabeat. Of course, I don't even know if Windows Explorer is actually transferring the files--it seems to go too quickly to be tranferring music files.

Do you know if Mediamonkey will work with my Gigabeat X30?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.