Question

MP3 player Zen connectivity problem for synching

I have two pcs, both run XP, one works, one does not, same software for audio on both:

1. I plug in my Zen and get a pop up asking me if I want to synch.
2. I click on Windows Media of Mediamonkey (I tried both) but neither can find the device.
3. The device does not appear in the list of drives in My PC (all other drives appear, as do other external drives.
4. The device flashes and shows that it is connected to the PC but the PC shows no sign of a connection.
5. i have checked all the software updates and this seems to be okay (and it used to work, so updates shouldn't be required).

This worked fine last time I tried it, so I have 40G of music and audio that I can't replace unless I use my other PC and move all my stored audio to that one first.

Any ideas for what might be wrong are appreciated

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: MP3 player Zen connectivity problem for synching
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: MP3 player Zen connectivity problem for synching
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Does this zen have a drive letter?

If so, copy it out.

And where is the backup copy? These external hard disks and players are not storage. I fear many learn this the hard way.
Bob

- Collapse -
mp3 players

This is a player, so not a backup for anything, I use it to listen to music and old radio shows.

as I said in my opening query:

On the pc where it works, it has a drive letter and the name I gave to the unit.

On the pc where it doesn't work, I get a brief MPT message, asking me which device I want to synch but when I open the software, it can't find the device and the device is not listed in my list of drives at all.

I'm not interested in backup copies, I have those, I am wondering why I have one PC that does not recognize the device and one that does, both pcs recognize other USB connected external drives. Up to a few weeks ago (last time I loaded audio onto the device), it worked okay.

- Collapse -
", I am wondering why I have one PC that does not recognize

", I am wondering why I have one PC that does not recognize the device and one that does,"

That's clearer. To answer this you ask the maker of the PC and the person who installed the Windows OS to figure out what's different. There are many machines with bum front USB ports but looking at this discussion I see so little about the PC that it's going to be guessing all the way. I think it's best if you task the maker as I noted with this if a google with that MPT message does not give you any new ideas or if the driver for that Zen doesn't help.
Bob

- Collapse -
mps 3 conectivity

I'm running windows XP on both systems, I was wondering if there is some piece of software that could have change, either on my pc or the unit that stops the handshake.

No real info on the connection message, it offers me an option of players on the pc, then there is just no connection, the unit is not shown at all, either on the Windows player or the pc, although the battery charging light flashes on the player.

As I said, it works fine on my other pc, so I can still load new audio via that one.

regards

- Collapse -
Yes.

While I couldn't find more than XP about the machines, the answer to what looks to be a question is yes.
Bob

- Collapse -
Problem solved

It was my Net software that was faulty, I must have damaged it when I uninstalled some other software and tried to clean up my PC a wile ago.

The bad thing about having a player with a big disk is that I only update the audio every few months.

If I ever work out what I did to the Net software, I'll post some details.

regards

CNET Forums