HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

MP3 player that display PDF files and are not IPODs

by shaisk / March 29, 2008 6:45 AM PDT

Hi,

I am looking for an MP3 player that can display PDF files other than the ipod touch.
it must be a flash player.

The purpose of this player is for traveling - and viewing PDF Guide Books on the road.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MP3 player that display PDF files and are not IPODs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MP3 player that display PDF files and are not IPODs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
605WiFi 4GB
by JonTitor / March 29, 2008 3:21 PM PDT

also has SDHC port for expansion
the 800x480 resolution should be good for view PDFs

Collapse -
Too bulky and not flash
by shaisk / March 29, 2008 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: 605WiFi 4GB

thanks, but while the 605 definitely sounds sweet, it is not what I'm looking for.

I am looking for a flash player with decent battery life which is relatively miniature (cowon D2, iriver clix, creative zen...) but can also display PDF documents.

Collapse -
(NT) Archos 405
by ktreb / March 30, 2008 2:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
actually
by JonTitor / March 30, 2008 6:55 AM PDT

the 4GB 605 WiFi is flash based, lighter and slimmer too
but if you want smaller the 405 also does PDF but the screen res goes down to regular QVGA

Collapse -
Sony E-Book Reader
by Solitaire001 / April 1, 2008 7:04 AM PDT

Although it is a bit large (it has a 3.5" x 4.75" screen), the Sony E-Book reader will display PDFs. In addition to PDFs, it will allow you to view text files, RTFs, and pictures. It also functions as a basic MP3 player (just plays the tracks in alphanumeric order) and will play MP3 and AAC files. Although it only has a modest amount of flash memory on board (I think it's about 64MB), more memory can be added via memory cards.

One of the best things about this e-book reader is battery life. In regular use as an e-book reader you can go a few days on a charge (I went about 2 weeks on my first charge), although my experience has been that playing audio files will reduce the battery life.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Thanks to everybody but...
by shaisk / April 2, 2008 7:12 PM PDT

The archos 405 seems like a nice device, however,
I should have pointed out much more on my original thread.
I am buying an MP3 player for my travels. I will be going to africa for a2 month journey and there for require a decent MP3 player with flash memory and a LONG LASTING BATTERY - Archos are week on battery life, and so is the IPOD Touch.
I am probably going to get a 32gb ZEN.
The reason I wanted the PDF feature was not for e-books but just for one simple feature that many guide book companies are beginning to offer - buying only single chapters the are required in PDF.

I wish the ZEN supported PDF or the Cowon D2. perhaps the rumored D3 will support PDF.

Does anyone know if the samsung P2 supports PDF?

Thanks again fro all the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.