Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

MP3 player that can be access in windows format

by kwahhn / April 8, 2006 3:10 PM PDT

After purchasing a used gen 4 ipod, I relized I hate it. I have never used one before and didn't relize the propritary software makes it difficult to organize and transfer music to it. What I don't like is how it organizes music based on mp3 tags.

What I am looking for is a decent player that can be accessed like a removable drive. What I mean is I want the ablility to simply copy a folder of music to it and be able to access that folder on the player just as I could if it was a removable drive or a hard drive. I'd like to be able to just go to a specific folder and play thoes songs in order and not have to worry about any tags at all.

Can anyone recommend a player that is designed like this? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MP3 player that can be access in windows format
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MP3 player that can be access in windows format
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Solution in the form of a question
by skvadivel / April 8, 2006 3:48 PM PDT

Has the world actually become so lazy that they can't simply put in the track numbers for their .mp3 files?

Collapse -
Not lazy, just smart
by kwahhn / April 8, 2006 4:06 PM PDT

Its not laziness, its just not pratical for me. I want to put 40 gigs of live shows on my player, I I don't feel like having to go through hundreds of shows and edit tags just so my player knows where to put them. The best option for me is to get a player that works with the folders format. That's why I'm asking. I guess if you rip commercial cd's and can easily fill tags from the internet, its not that hard. That's not what I listen to. Live recordings have to be done manually and I don't feel like putting many hours into it just so I can use an Ipod if other players don't have this limitation.

Collapse -
an MP3 that will do things properly....
by vrava / April 8, 2006 5:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Not lazy, just smart

in answer to your original question an iRiver MP3 player will do what you are asking. they act like an external flash drive (alabiet a very large one) and there is good software back up and for some of the players software upgrades. such as for the H300 series which didn't have video facility until it was released online
hope ths helps,

p.s. the sound quality is better

Collapse -
*sigh*
by skvadivel / April 8, 2006 6:44 PM PDT

Well, with all of the media players I've had experience with, they generally play files (without tags) either alphabetically or numerically based on the file name. One that comes to mind is Muvo. It was a removable drive and played files in this manner because it didn't rely on mp3 tags. Of course, media players like this still won't offer a solution for you because instead of editing tags, you have to edit file names. So, which would you prefer to do, change entire file names, or insert a number (which I do by hand a lot myself, and it doesn't take me hours, but I suppose I'm just a fast typist)?

Collapse -
let me try again
by kwahhn / April 9, 2006 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: *sigh*

I guess I didn't explain myself well. I would not need to edit file names. My music is all organized by folders and songs. For example, a live show might be in a folder called Dead-02-03-77 and all the songs are listed in order such as 01 Jam, 02 Bird Song. I don't need to edit anything as it stands, EXCEPT for the tags and I want a player that doesn't need them.

Collapse -
iaudio X5
by tom_2727 / April 10, 2006 4:33 PM PDT

I'd recommend an Iaudio X5. They go up to 60GB. Works exactly like you say. Sort your music in folders just like windows. Drag and drop onto the player just like a removable hard drive. No software needed. This is one of the main reasons why I buy Iaudio products.

With my music and audiobooks, I don't have anything like a consistent naming system for filenames; let alone mp3 tags. Unlike you, it is because I'm too lazy to do it. Wink

Collapse -
iPod
by innocent_bystander / April 8, 2006 11:23 PM PDT

I may have misunderstood exactly what it is that you are wanting to do but:
The last time I played with iTunes and an iPod I was able to do all the things that you say you need to do, and more.
If you had taken the time to organize your collection into playlists, within iTunes, you would have found that once you had transferred the playlists to the iPod you could have selected each one, individually, and played them. You could even have made iTunes to organize your playlists automatically, using Smart Playlists. The iPod can also be used as a Hard Drive, just by connecting it to your computer.

On the subject of "propritary software"(sic), I can't help wondering what you mean by this. As defined by most dictionary's, proprietary means, "(of a product) marketed under and protected by a registered trade name" All the music software out there falls into this category. However, if you mean that the software does not work with someone else's software or does not work on a different machine, consider this:
Windows Media Player is just as, if not more so, proprietary than iTunes. iTunes runs on Windows and Mac, WMP does not. Nearly all of the other music organizing programs only run on Windows and are not compatible with each other. You might want to rethink how you define proprietary.

I_B

Collapse -
hmm...
by pinayterp / April 9, 2006 1:12 AM PDT

I_B is right about the iTunes-and-playlist part... but I think he missed the point about the need for NOT installing any *extra* item onto your PC. It's not about "propietariness"... it's about ease of use and less clutter.

Both Creative AND iRiver produce the kind of players you'd like. Happy

Muvo is what I have. It can read the SONG TITLE from the mp3 tag, but nothing else. And it uses FILENAME ONLY to determine playing order. No playlist support etc. You'd better check out the Zen series for more features... or iRiver ... the Muvo also has Folders... but only 1 level deep. So you can't have subfolders. but it's VERY VERY light. I mean physically.

Collapse -
Thank you
by kwahhn / April 9, 2006 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm...

That is what I was talking about. Thanks
I've posted a similar question on other forums and am getting a lot of responses similar to some here. That because I want a player that has folder/file formating, I'm lazy. I guess most people don't listen to non-commercial live music. Why shouldn't I just be able to drop a folder called music onto my player has many directories in it that are organized the way I want, artist, show date, etc, without HAVING to edit thousands of tags. Anyway, this Ipod is going back to ebay and an Irvier is gonna be heading my way. Thanks!

Collapse -
iAudio products
by woohoo22 / April 9, 2006 3:37 AM PDT

all iAudio products do not require software. just copy and paste your music onto it in Windows Explorer and they will appear that way on your player.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?