Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

MP3 player - battery drainage? power adapter?

by jelley / January 23, 2008 1:22 PM PST

Before shopping for an MP3 player & speakers, I've been trying for the past few weeks to find out the following:

If an MP3 player is connected to powerful speakers or a powerful speaker-dock, does this drain the player's battery quicker than if just connected to earphones?

Are there no MP3 players that run on 9V battery or with power adapter? I.E. wouldn't that last longer than those powered by AAA batteries, yet be easier to replace than a lithium-ion?

Basically, what I'm wanting to know is:

If I mainly want to listen to music at home, there's no sense using up battery (how many times can it be recharged before finally going dead?)
SO:
Is it possible for the MP3 player AND the speakers to SIMULTANEOUSLY get their power from a wall outlet via power adapter, yet be connected to each other as well?

Alternatively:
I know there's also MP3 CD players - but I believe those just show track numbers and don't have a screen.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MP3 player - battery drainage? power adapter?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MP3 player - battery drainage? power adapter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MP3 battery drainage - power adapter etc.
by jelley / January 26, 2008 8:57 AM PST

Is there at least an online article which addresses my questions?

I can't believe how impossible it is for me to find out answers. I feel like a Martian - i.e. nobody else seems to have the same questions I do.

Collapse -
BATTERY WILL NOT CHARGE
by nicole3279 / January 27, 2008 10:38 AM PST

I BOUGHT 4 OF THESE AND NONE OF THEM WILL CHARGE . MODEL #KZ111/KZ112.I TRIED EVERYTHING TO GET THEM TO WORK AND THEY WONT. I TURN THEM ON BEFORE I PLUG THEM IN BUT WHEN I GET THEM PLUGGED IN THEY SHUT OFF ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET THESE THINGS TO CHARGE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...

Collapse -
(NT) Sonds like you need to return it for a refund.
by ahtoi / January 27, 2008 4:20 PM PST
Collapse -
RE:
by ahtoi / January 27, 2008 4:18 PM PST

Yes, big speaker would drain the battery faster than an earphone; that's why people use a docking system when output to a speaker system.

The problem with a 9v battery is that they are very big (comparatively speaking of course), when 3v will do the job.

The idea of using lithium-ion battery is that it holds a bigger charge and hopefully last a long long time so that there is no need to replace it.

Yes, you should be able to charge and listen at the same time (at least my does).

Collapse -
response to ahtoi
by jelley / January 29, 2008 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

QUOTING AHTOI:
Yes, big speaker would drain the battery faster than an earphone; that's why people use a docking system when output to a speaker system.
END-QUOTE

Q:
Do all MP3 players come with either an AC or DC receptacle?
In which case, can't you plug in the AC/DC adapter
from the MP3 player to wall outlet
and simultaneously connect the speaker jack
from the MP3 player to conventional (non-dock) speakers?

In which case, is a docking system truly necessary?

For example:
If you remove the LI-ION from the Sansa E250
Then plug an AC adapter from the Sansa to wall outlet
Then plug speaker jack from Sansa to conventional speakers
would it play music?

On a tangent (re: DVD player + dock):

Can you use a one-piece speaker-docking station with a DVD player? Or would the sound be distorted unless you place separate speakers on each side of the DVD player?

Collapse -
some answers
by ktreb / January 29, 2008 12:57 PM PST
In reply to: response to ahtoi

Most mp3 players can be charged with an ac/dc adapter. I'm not going to say all because there might be a player that doesn't. So, yes you can plug the player into a wall outlet and connect the speakers to the headphone jack. And if you don't have an iPod, Zune, or SanDisk Sansa e200 series, this will probably be the solution for you. So, a docking system isn't truly necessary. I just prefer it. It looks better. Less cables. One outlet. On the other hand, with a docking system you're stuck with the same type of player, though almost all come with an aux input.

Collapse -
speakers etc.
by jelley / January 29, 2008 1:30 PM PST
In reply to: some answers
Collapse -
never tried
by ktreb / January 29, 2008 1:38 PM PST
In reply to: speakers etc.

I don't have the proper line-out on my DVD player to work with my dock.

Collapse -
Not all mp3 comes with usb charger for 110v,
by ahtoi / January 29, 2008 3:19 PM PST
In reply to: response to ahtoi

but a charger can be had for less than $10. I would not suggest using (non-docking) speaker for mp3 because impedance matching might be an issue (an that's one reason why it will use up the battery faster).

Dvd to docking station; in theory it should work. Will the music be distorted? It could be if the signal is too large, and we have no way to control the input signal coming out of the dvd player.

Collapse -
to ktreb & ahtoi
by jelley / January 30, 2008 10:19 AM PST

Thanks (this tech-dummy's mind is boggled

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.