Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Mozilla Thunderbird email

by eliz6beth / August 13, 2007 9:14 PM PDT

I only occasionally use this email facility but when I do it comes up with a little menu at the bottom right hand corner of the page saying "Local Folders has ..... messaages" It has now reached over 3000. How do I access this local folder to delete them.

Grateful for advice

Liz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mozilla Thunderbird email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mozilla Thunderbird email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Click on [Get Mail]
by ChuckT / August 14, 2007 5:17 AM PDT

Your mail server is holding onto those 3000(!) email messages, and T-Bird is just letting you know.

Also, you might have your account set up to leave messages on the server. Thus, your email there never gets expunged from the server.

To check and possibly change that setting:
Select Tools>Account Settings
Select "Server Settings"
Uncheck "Leave messages on server

Why would anybody want to leave the messages on the server?
If a person has multiple computers to access their email on a defined mail server, BUT there is one computer that they mainly use to "keep" all their email, they might set all other computers to leave the email. Then on that one mail computer, they have it set to NOT leave the messages. That way, when eventually using that one computer is how they can read and keep track of all the email coming and going.

Collapse -
local folders
by eliz6beth / August 14, 2007 7:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Click on [Get Mail]

Hi Chuck

It is unchecked.

Liz

Collapse -
local olders
by eliz6beth / August 14, 2007 7:11 PM PDT
In reply to: local folders

Hi Chuck

As I do not use Thunderbird - just put it on when I was having problems sending emails on OE I may as well just uninstall it and lose the lot.

Liz

Collapse -
local folders
by eliz6beth / August 14, 2007 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: local olders

Hi again

I have tried to uninstall it on add/remove and also ccleaner but nothing happens?

Liz

Collapse -
Hi Liz
by tomron / August 14, 2007 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: local folders
Collapse -
Hi Liz
by eliz6beth / August 15, 2007 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Liz

Hi

I had checked for the uninstaller in Start>all programmes but there was not one.

I had also tried the Add-Remove Pro 2.0 and nothing happened

How do I get into Local Folder settings (I am not very computer literate). Each time I go into Thunderbird the number keeps going up - its quite frightening.

Thanks

Liz

Collapse -
Liz
by tomron / August 15, 2007 4:28 AM PDT

Try reinstalling thunderbird,then if you want check add/remove and start?all programs.

Heres another LINK for future reference.

Tom

Collapse -
See the Control Panel
by ChuckT / August 15, 2007 4:49 AM PDT

The Add or Remove Programs is located in the Control Panel.

The Control Panel should be (and tell us if you do NOT see it) at the Start menu.

Collapse -
(NT) Rick/Chuck,Liz already tried add/remove
by tomron / August 15, 2007 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: See the Control Panel
Collapse -
Re: Liz already tried add/remove
by ChuckT / August 15, 2007 6:48 AM PDT

I am not so sure she had. She said she "had checked for the uninstaller in Start>all programmes but there was not one"

So, if what she was looking for the Add/remove in just the top level of the Start>All Programs, well, it won't be there.

I am just clarifying where it is, for her.

Even earlier, she had said "I have tried to uninstall it on add/remove and also ccleaner but nothing happens?"
So, why do you suppose that "nothing happens"?

Nothing? like nothing? or was there some sort of error message? or what other sort of nothing sort of happened?

If we don't get exact information as to what is happening, then we are shooting in the dark. I am just trying to be specific, so that there is little chance of me being misunderstood. I do not want to assume something that she did not say, and go off on a tangent.

Collapse -
OK
by tomron / August 15, 2007 6:56 AM PDT

Its just that when I read "I have tried to uninstall it on add/remove",I presume that she had tried add/remove to no avail. Happy

Collapse -
and I quoted that myself.
by ChuckT / August 15, 2007 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

I did not want to just assume she meant the Add or Remove Programs applet, in the Control Panel, just because she was close to what the actual name is. That might where her confusion is.

When I write, I try to be specific, so as to eliminate ambiguity or confusion.

I am not perfect, but that doesn't stop me from trying. Happy

Collapse -
Removing Mozilla Thunderbird
by PudgyOne / August 15, 2007 5:25 AM PDT

click on start

control panel

add/remove programs

click on Mozilla Thunderbird

click on remove

right click on start

left click on explore

open programs file

look for Mozilla Thunderbird folder

right click on it. delete it.

Now go to the webserver and see what is there. Fix any problems you have on the webserver, then restart your computer.

Now download Mozilla Thunderbird from here

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

you may want to choose another language. I noticed by the programmes.

After the download, then install it. You now have to configure it for your isp.

Things should be back to normal.

Rick

Collapse -
Removing Mozilla Thunderbrid
by eliz6beth / August 15, 2007 10:56 PM PDT

Hi Evryone

Many many thanks for all your suggestions.

To clarify what I did - I went into the add/remove programme - highlighted Mozilla Thunderbird and clicked remove and nothing happened. It was the same with C Cleaner.

I have just downloaded the programme again and this time been able to remove it through the Add/remove programme.

I will certainly not be using it again.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Grateful

Liz

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.