Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Mozilla Firefox

by Grizzly / November 25, 2004 9:43 PM PST

I cannot get any sound from any website. Have tried everything, even that little box that says I need a plug in. I like it othwerwise, but untill I can get sound will stay with IE, which I have NO problems with.
I also use their e-mail program Thunderbird, which to me is excellant, far better that OE

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re: Mozilla Firefox
by P_R_Smith / November 25, 2004 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Mozilla Firefox

I run WinXP pro at home and at work, where I am a Network Administrator (and Desktop Tech in my spare time). I do not use Enternet Explorer (except when Active X controls are needed) or Outlook Express. We remove all Outlook icons from the users? p/c?s. I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser of choice on all my machines and recommend it highly.

I have downloaded Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from http://www.download.com , both free (donations accepted), and run the updates and the programs weekly. I am on a LAN at work and have a bi-directional cable connection at home. At work we have McAfee virus protection as well as a firewall, and at home I run Norton on my system and Panda on my wife?s Win98 machine, both with firewalls. When my Norton subscription runs out I will probably switch to either Panda or Trend Micro.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
by isotla / November 26, 2004 12:53 AM PST

I have no idea why "Smith" above posted what he/she did, since it had nothing to do with sound.

I investigated this on my PC here at work, and I can tell you that the use of Firefox as a browser has nothing to do with sound not coming across. I tested this by going to disney.com where every button/link has a sound to it. If sound works in IE, it should do the same for Firefox.

The only possible thing I could think of is that there is a setting to "enable Java" under the tools/options dialog box. If it's not enabled, enable it and see what happens.

Let us know what you find out.

Collapse -
by dcrewchief / November 26, 2004 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Mozilla Firefox

with firefox you have to go sun java and get java so that things will work properly. i believe its J2SE runtime enviorment 5.0 thats what it shows in add and remove programs and i have no problems.

Collapse -
by Grizzly / November 27, 2004 9:18 PM PST

I do have Java enabled still nothing. Would really like to use Firefox
thanks for your help

Collapse -
by dcrewchief / November 27, 2004 9:44 PM PST
Collapse -
by Yew / November 27, 2004 10:23 PM PST

I think most people are looking in the wrong direction. MOST Java craplets don't have sound, but a majority of Flash craplets do. Which is why I don't have the Flash plugin installed, and tend to be quite liberal in setting AdBlock to filter out anything with a .swf extention. Which is also why I don't see the problem exactly. If I want sound, I'll start WinAmp playing something. I don't like the idea that I might go to some website and be assaulted with noise.

But, my guess is you didn't install the Flash plugin. I'd strongly urge you to consider the value of not having it installed, so as not to encourage the idiots who keep making this crap, but the choice is ultimately yours.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!