HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Mozilla Firefox 3

by PudgyOne / June 28, 2008 8:42 AM PDT

I am currently using Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14

I click on check for updates and get that there are no updates available.

My question(s) are...

If I download Mozilla Firefox 3, will my add-on work?

Adblock
Adblock Filterset.G Updater
Colorful Tabs
Flashgot
Forecast Fox
Google Bookmarks Button
IE Tab
McAfee SiteAdvisor
NoScript
Print/Print Preview
RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin
Tab Mix Plus
Update Notifier
Yahoo Mail Notifier

How about my theme? Noia 2.0 extreme

Why did Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 Update to Mozilla Firefox 3, yet?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your input!

Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mozilla Firefox 3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mozilla Firefox 3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firefox 3 and add-ons...
by glenn30 / June 28, 2008 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Mozilla Firefox 3

I downloaded and installed the software. Some add-ons work and some do not. At first I lost three that have since been updated or replaced... so I see not reason for that to be of real concern.

Enjoy Firefox 3... it is an improvement... at least for me.

Glenn

Collapse -
Firefox 3...
by John.Wilkinson / June 28, 2008 9:43 AM PDT

Rick,

AdBlock Plus (successor to AdBlock and includes filter subscriptions), ColorfulTabs, FlashGot, ForecastFox, IE Tab, SiteAdvisor, NoScript, Tab Mix Pus, and Yahoo Mail Notifier (though WebMail Notifier is more robust) all support Firefox 3. Update Notifier is no longer needed...it's integrated into Firefox 3. I don't know about Google Bookmarks Button, Print/Print Preview, or RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin...I don't use those three.

However, I beseech you, disable your Noia and all other themes before you upgrade...they are not compatible and will cause fairly extreme rendering issues to the point where you may, in some cases, be unable to fix the issue from within Firefox due to the level of distortion. For the time being there are only a handful of themes that actually work, so you'll need to give them time on that front.

Finally, Mozilla is slowly rolling out Firefox 3 via automatic updates, and by slowly I mean over the course of a few months, as support for Firefox 2.0.x winds down. The idea is that they don't want to appear as if they are forcing it on anyone too fast and trying to avoid overwhelming the servers.

John

Collapse -
OK, I did it...
by PudgyOne / June 28, 2008 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Firefox 3...

and here is the results. Got everything somewhat working. Had to search and find Tab Mix Plus. Got it.

Have everything except RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin. I cannot do anything with the old plugin. Cannot click on options, enable or Uninstall, so it's stuck there. Any way to remove this?(I think Real Player put it there, but there is no update)

Now I hate the default theme and have to go Theme shopping, if I can find one.

How do you sort the bookmarks alphabetically, like before? Doesn't seem to work for me.

Now looking at the option of removing Adblock and Adblock Filterset.G Updater and installing Adblock Plus. Does Adblock Plus update on it's own? I had Adblock Filterset.G Updater to update Adblock before.

Update notifier did install on the new browser.

Any other suggestions?

How about a nice theme!

Rick

Collapse -
Firefox (cont.)
by John.Wilkinson / June 28, 2008 3:08 PM PDT
In reply to: OK, I did it...

-> You could close Firefox 3, re-launch Firefox 2 (reinstall along-side Firefox 3 if you already uninstalled), disable, then go back to Firefox 3. That is, if it lets you uninstall through Firefox 2 to begin with. Otherwise it's a manual removal, like I had to do with Google Toolbar before they fixed the compatibility issues.

-> I found absolutely no good themes...anything close was oversized. Good luck, though, and please share if you find a diamond in the rough. (I used to use Noia 2.0 as well, so we seem to have similar taste.)

-> Right-click->Sort by Name works for me as it did before. Restart and try it again?

-> Yes, AdBlock Plus automatically updates any subscriptions you choose daily, and Firefox 3 notifies you of any/all theme and extension updates upon launch as well as during use via momentary crawl-ups. Update Notifier may work, but it entirely unnecessary now.

John

Collapse -
Did you type
by PudgyOne / June 28, 2008 3:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Firefox (cont.)

about:config Yet?

Rick

Love the message!

Collapse -
Yep...few minutes after installing the first nightly build..
by John.Wilkinson / June 28, 2008 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you type

Now, if they'd just hurry up with Firefox 3.1 (currently in the works) and fix some of these bugs. I'm getting tired of killing firefox.exe. Sad

John

Collapse -
Sorting
by PudgyOne / June 28, 2008 3:25 PM PDT

Right click on Book marks Menu.

Left click on sort by name, The become in alphabetical order.

Right click on each folder, left click on sort by name. They sort in alphabetical order inside the folder.

Click and drag doesn't work well for the folders.

Rick

Collapse -
Theme I found
by PudgyOne / June 28, 2008 3:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
I also found this about Adblock Plus
by PudgyOne / June 28, 2008 3:48 PM PDT

Adblock Filterset.G Updater works with Adblock Plus, so I don't need to worry about subscriptions.

Rick

Collapse -
John, I got a surprise for you!!!
by PudgyOne / June 28, 2008 5:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
Manual removal...
by John.Wilkinson / June 29, 2008 1:03 AM PDT

I manually delete the relevant files in the Firefox Program Files directory, as well as its subfolder, Plugins, and edit the file pluginreg.dat file in the Firefox profile directory to remove the relevant references. I never installed the Real Player Plugin, though, so I don't know specifically which files it created.

Thanks for the Noia 2.0 update, though! I downloaded the beta versions of several extensions to maintain compatibility, but hadn't found the DeviantArt page. Crossing my fingers now. Happy

John

Collapse -
Still graphically buggy...
by John.Wilkinson / June 29, 2008 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Manual removal...

It's evidently not fully compatible with Tab Mix Plus and a few other extensions yet. And surprisingly enough, after several months (nightly builds) of the default Firefox 3 theme I actually like it better. Go figure. Confused

John

Collapse -
when i click on themes
by neal1_1 / June 29, 2008 2:44 AM PDT

it dosnt give me option to locate

Collapse -
What are you trying to locate?
by PudgyOne / June 29, 2008 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: when i click on themes

How to install the Noia 2.0(extreme) Theme?

Rick

Collapse -
(NT) yes cant fig it out
by neal1_1 / June 29, 2008 3:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
You downloaded Noia 2.0(extreme)
by PudgyOne / June 29, 2008 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: yes cant fig it out

from the above post.

Double click on it. Extract the files.

Now open Mozilla Firefox.

click on tools, click on add-ons, click on the Themes button(Might be hidden to the right of the extensions button)(There are three buttons there, can only see two)

Click on install. Locate the Noia2_Full34.jar file you just unzipped. Install, Restart Mozilla Firefox. Now go to tools, add-ons, themes, click on Noia 2.09eXtrems, Use theme. Restart Mozilla Firefox and everything is back to Noia 2.0(eXtreme)

Rick

Collapse -
no way
by neal1_1 / June 29, 2008 3:39 AM PDT

no such button

i extracted to desktop and no option to find it

Collapse -
Look in Mozilla Firefox to install it.
by PudgyOne / June 29, 2008 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: no way

You can also try this...

Manually Install a Firefox Theme

To manually install a Firefox theme into Firefox, download the theme to your computer. If the download option isn't available, right click on the theme's install link and select "Save Link As..". Be sure not to change the file extension. A Firefox theme will usually be a .JAR file.

Next, open the Firefox themes manager by going to Tools > Add-ons > Themes. Drag the theme file from wherever you downloaded it to onto the Themes Manager. The installation window will appear. Follow the prompts to install the theme, select your theme, then restart Firefox.
Selecting a Theme

Go to the Firefox drop down menus at the top of the browser. Select Tools > Add-ons > Themes > select a theme, click on Use Theme, then restart Firefox. Your selected theme will be visible when Firefox is restarted.

Rick

Collapse -
ill be danged if that didnt work
by neal1_1 / June 29, 2008 3:47 AM PDT

thank you

Collapse -
Update Notifier
by PudgyOne / July 26, 2008 7:00 PM PDT

John,

There was an update for the Yahoo mail notifier and Firefox 3 did NOT notify me. I enabled Update notifier again so it will notify me.

Rick

Collapse -
Closing browser with multiple tabs open
by PudgyOne / June 30, 2008 6:32 PM PDT

Before, I would get the message are you sure you want to close the browser with the multiple tabs open, ok or cancel. I have the box checked to warn me when closing multiple tabs but it doesn't work.

Another bug? or is there a cure for this?

Rick

Collapse -
they changed the message
by jonah jones / July 1, 2008 3:55 AM PDT

i now get Do you want Firefox to save your tabs for the next time it starts? and a 'check box' Do not ask me next time

Collapse -
I don't even get that message!
by PudgyOne / July 1, 2008 4:21 AM PDT

I can close 5 tabs without a single question about closing the tabs and The boxes are checked in Tab mic plus and Mozilla Firefox, tools tab. It could be possible it has something to do with the Noia Theme, but I'm Not sure.

Let me try a different theme, I'll get right back to you.

Rick

Collapse -
I tried
by PudgyOne / July 1, 2008 4:42 AM PDT

the default theme and winstripe modern and still the same results.

Disabled tab mix plus.

Still the same results.

No message, just close 5 tabs.

Rick

Collapse -
I only get the
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I tried

"Warn if closing multiple tabs" option which is the only option I have in Tools > Options > Tabs.

If you have some Tab extensions or addons, I wonder if they are affecting this. Could you try disabling them one at a time?

Mark

Collapse -
Mark & Jonah
by PudgyOne / July 1, 2008 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I only get the

Your are both using Mozilla Firefox 3, correct?

What theme are you using?

Will try disabling everything until I find it.

Rick

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, FF3 and no theme.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Mark & Jonah
Collapse -
FF3 "out of the box" so to speak
by jonah jones / July 1, 2008 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Mark & Jonah

i wouldn't know a theme if you whistled it Wink

Collapse -
(NT) make that "Default 3.0"
by jonah jones / July 1, 2008 5:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
I disabled everything
by PudgyOne / July 1, 2008 5:35 AM PDT

used the default theme and still no warning. I don't want to go to bugzilla and report it. I still get email notifications from a few years back about the update history being wrong. Someone still posts to it.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.