HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MOVING XP installation to another drive

by typondis / June 29, 2008 6:36 AM PDT

Let me be clear on this: I want to put in a larger drive than the old one, have Windows completely move itself to the new drive, and leave the old one blank - all without Windows' security hackles raising and saying, hey you changed something so you need to re-activate!

I can't AT ALL see a security issue with this and I'm utterly surprised this isn't obviously available, let alone wasn't forseen.

In any case, I'm not bitching - I'm asking if perhaps someone has some secret information that this is in fact possible?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MOVING XP installation to another drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MOVING XP installation to another drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Activation and when it does that is documented.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 6:48 AM PDT

I'll skip the when it does that but it's not a big deal today, works just fine the thousand times I've done it.

So to move to a bigger hard disk has only one big caveat and here it is. Which version of XP CD do you have? If only "XP" then the big drive or boot partition must stay at or under 127GB. I'd not offer why since it's widely documented.
Bob

Collapse -
Documented perhaps but under what?
by typondis / June 29, 2008 6:57 AM PDT

I googled and searched at MS and here under the words in the title of my initial thread. Nothing on them.

It's Pro, and the new drive is only 80gigs. So you're saying I actually have to use a CD to enable doing this? I have one, I can do that, I was just hoping it could've been done completely in Windows - like, say, from Disk Management. Anyways, thanks for responding; what is the method you follow?

Collapse -
Enable "what?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 7:01 AM PDT

Since your hard disk is under the old 127GB size limit we don't need to chat about that. Free cloning software is a google away. In case you can't find one here it is -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

Collapse -
You're not getting this I think
by typondis / June 29, 2008 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Enable "what?"

I don't want to clone - unless there's some way of Windows not bitching about hardware change. I already tried Acronis Migrate, and that is what happened. Now the damn thing won't even let me activate; every time I press 'try' or 'retry' it says there's no connectivity with MS activation. (I can surf, though, so it's not an issue with internet connectivity.)

Collapse -
Activation issues were supported for free.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 7:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE:
by typondis / June 29, 2008 7:51 AM PDT

Well, the key didn't fail. The system just can't connect to Windows activation. Anyways, as it seems there's something of a trick to this, what is the method you specifically used to successfully clone?

Collapse -
I used G4U
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Its free and a bit of a power tool. Connect or not that could be your firewall but I didn't want to state something obvious as that. When it fails the manual method is offered and you make that call.

Collapse -
RE: "I don't want to clone."
by Edward ODaniel / June 29, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

According to your initial post that is EXACTLY what you want to do.

Acronis Migrate is not full service cloning software while Acronis True image is. leaving that aside for the moment though, if you are having activation problems after using it you have made other hardware changes than just a larger drive.

Most retail Drives sold come complete with an installation CD that contains cloning software specifically designed to clone your existing drive onto the new drive and enlarge partitions either automatically or manually. If your new drive is a Seagate, the software provided (or available to download on the Seagate site) is a lightly crippled version of Acronis True Image (clones or creates images but doesn't offer backup or Snap Restore or the Recovery Manager that the full version has).

Collapse -
No, I don't want to clone
by typondis / June 29, 2008 9:01 AM PDT

Cloning is taking a part of something and making a replica of it. I want something more akin to Quantum Teleportation - where the original is destroyed in the process. In any case, I don't have a Seagate drive, else I would've been able to use that version of Acronis they have there. Further, though the drive was NOS, nothing came with it. However, I'll try the True Image. Thanks.

Collapse -
The lesson about destroying the original?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 9:47 AM PDT

Please don't do that. Clone the drive, remove the old drive and boot. If you actually killed the original and the copy/move failed where would you be?

Collapse -
Hmmmm
by typondis / June 30, 2008 2:01 PM PDT

Well, I tried Acronis True Image, and this happened to work. (Actually, on another one this worked. On the first one I was just screwed and had to call MS.) The details were: put both drives on the same cable (IDE, of course), the old drive jumpered for 'master', the new drive jumpered for 'slave', cloned the disk, switched the pins and cable ends, rebooted, and all seems well. New drive is now system, old drive is 'D'. I'm wondering if the particulars were important here?

Collapse -
Always it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmm

I'm unsure if there is any issue left to chew on here. Do tell.
Bob

Collapse -
Um
by typondis / July 1, 2008 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Always it seems.

Unless I misunderstand you're post, maybe you misunderstood mine? What I meant was: was what I specifically did, in its entirety, necessary for this to work? That's why I asked specifically what you do in this situation.

Collapse -
It may not matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Um

Your goal was to move the XP to the new drive and destroy the old copy along the way. As this is the most dangerous method I doubt anyone will give you how to make this happen.

If what you did works then why not call it a day?
Bob

Collapse -
It's called strict methodoloy
by typondis / July 1, 2008 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: It may not matter.

Of course it matters. I wanna know. Because my initial intent was based in what I thought would be most functional. (An assumption, yes.) That things don't work this way (whether due to how the software and hardware inherently work together or how they may happen to be set up), knowing it helps me understand the process and address such possible future circumstances better or properly. Dig?

In essense, I'm saying I learn top-down. Give me the formal conditions and I can extrapolate the particulars, or at least better understand them. As well, it's far less time and resource intensive. (People are way too enthused with 'emergence'. I think it may be an excuse to continue doing things the hard way. Of course, I possibly would've been best served ditching all I'd experienced and asking questions from scratch, etc.)

Collapse -
Acronis True Image will do this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 6:52 AM PDT

It will take a complete image of your system and it does this so that, if there is a hard disk failure, you can restore the image to a new disk.

I see no problems.

Of course, if your Windows OS is still working well, why not install the larger hard drive, leave the Windows OS where it is, and just use the new drive to move over your larger files, music, videos. You can also install new software on it usually.

Mark

Collapse -
I don't want to add the drive....
by typondis / June 29, 2008 7:01 AM PDT

I want to replace it completely. In one case it's because the original drive is an old-*** 8gig, that's (especially aurally) clunky. In another case, it's because I want to use the 20gig that's being replaced for a computer I'm going to sell. Cloning doesn't do what I want and raises problems.

Collapse -
Here's a thought. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 29, 2008 11:01 AM PDT

Clone the drive, then set it as slave and format it. Or take a hammer to it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.