Question

moving wireless network printer from one host PC to another

Hi. I had a home network with 2 laptops (one XP and one Vista) and 1 desktop (XP) configured through a Lynksys wireless router. There was already a Canon wireless network printer (with the Vista laptop set up as the "host" pc). This Vista laptop had to be on in order to print from any of the other 2 computers on the network. I then added another laptop (this one with Windows 7 64-bit OS) to the same home network (using workgroup), and I can print wirelessly from it in the same way (the older Vista laptop has to be on). The Vista laptop is hardly ever used since adding the new Win 7, and I would like to be able to print without having the Vista laptop on. How would I go about this? Do I have to delete the printer from the Vista laptop and re-install on the Win 7? It seems like there should be a way to let the router be the "print server," but I have no idea how to accomplish this. The WLAN settings on the printer all indicate the proper router settings from the initial setup. The printer is a Canon MX860. Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: moving wireless network printer from one host PC to another
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: moving wireless network printer from one host PC to another
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I own a MX860

And it is not connected to any PC host. If you did host it on a PC then the PC would have to be "ON."

Why not unplug the printer from the PCs and use it's wireless setup?
Bob

PS This setup is in the manual so I'll stop here.

- Collapse -
PS.

My mx860 has been nearly flawless on WiFi. The scanning however does not work so I scan to some USB stick instead of over the network. Never had an issue with multiple users across a few Windows OSes.
Bob

- Collapse -
Wireless

Yeah Bob but you are a far better networker than the average, I can usually get them to work after MUCH travail, gnashing of teeth and loss of hair, to some, such as myself it ain't that easy!!!

- Collapse -
Thanks for that.

But in the case of the mx860 which I own at home (at work we have HP, etc.) I didn't do anything beyond tell my family to download the drivers from canon.com and install that. They were able to do that and wirelessly print without me helping.

This has me adding a +1 to this model.
Bob

- Collapse -
Printer not hard-wired

The printer is not hard-wired into the laptop--I'm using it wirelessly, but it still won't print unless that one laptop is on. I only loaded the software onto this one "host" laptop, and then added the printer to the queue using the add-a-printer wizard on the other PCs on the network. Maybe I just need to load the software onto all the computers on the network? I didn't do that at first because the desktop has its own hard-wired (not wireless capable) printer. It wasn't until I added the new HP Win 7 laptop that I needed to access the MX860 on any but the "host." Thanks!

- Collapse -
And I could cause that to happen IF

If I had "shared" this printer from a machine, I could have created the same problem. But I opted to not do that but to use Canon's own software to let each PC print to the printer.

This is entirely your choice on how to setup your network.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Wireless print etc.

It is tricky enough to run one system (Printer) wirelessly, never mind running 3 different operating systems that don't necessarily like each other. I would assume that you have the printer linked to the router (ethernet) and printer software individually loaded to separate systems, each shown as separate entities on the network that you have set up. Still, is it going to be functional? Personally I wouldn't bet on it but it ,might to a degree, a hardwire hook up for purposes such as printing is always preferable, whenever possible.

- Collapse -
Answer
moving wireless network printer from one host PC to another

I agree to u..

CNET Forums