Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Moving WindowsXP directories

I have Windows XP Professional installed with all files installed on drive C:. I have added another disk drive and want to relocate all directories and files under the Documents and Settings onto this E: drive. When I try to drag and drop within Windows Explorer I get a message about not being able to copy NTUSER being busy and nothing is copied.
Is it possible to move these files to a seperate drive and how is it achieved?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moving WindowsXP directories
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moving WindowsXP directories
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Moving WindowsXP directories

In reply to: Moving WindowsXP directories

If I look at the right click, properties of My Documents there is a Move button. Maybe you need to use that?

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Moving WindowsXP directories

Jerry Honeycutt describes in his article "Microsoft">http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6232a.asp]Microsoft

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Moving WindowsXP directories

Thanks Cursorcowboy for the useful link
When I attempt to delve into the registry using regedit I get presented with a message stating that registry editing has been disabled by your administrator. I am the adminsitrator so how do I enable registry editing?

Collapse -

Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry (Q256986) - all MS operating system versions

1. The Registry Editor is an advanced tool for viewing and changing settings in the system registry. Windows stores configuration information in a database (the registry) organized in a tree format. Although the Registry Editor enables inspection and modifying, it is normally not necessary.

Note: The two most important things to know are that the system registry copies changes immediately and there is no Undo command. The editor does not wait for a Save to be issued since it does not have one, therefore making changes permanent as they happen -- you make a change it's gone forever unless you remember it or have already backed up a copy. Use the editor sparingly and soberly, and do not leave it open unnecessarily.

2. The article [Q318159] explains that when a registry hive becomes damaged, your computer may become unbootable, and you may receive one of the following Stop error messages on a blue screen. Damage often occurs when programs with access to the registry do not cleanly remove temporary items that they store in the registry. This problem may also be caused if a program is terminated or experiences a user-mode fault -- one created by the user:

Unexpected Shutdown
Stop:0xc0000135

3. The article [Q307545] describes how to recover a Windows XP system that does not start because of corruption in the registry and assumes that normal recovery methods have failed and access to the system is not available except by using Recovery Console. If an Automatic System Recovery (ASR) backup exists, it is the preferred method for recovery and it is recommended that you use the ASR backup before utilizing this procedure. This procedure does not guarantee full recovery of the system to a previous state; however, you should be able to recover data when used.

4. Please note that on occasion it may be come necessary to utilize the older Regedit32, run the same as Regedit, when access issues a denial permissions.

5. Supplemental reading:

a. "Prevent Regedit.exe from Using the Last State (Q244004)."

b. "The Registry Keys and Values for the System Restore Utility (Q295659)" describes certain keys pertaining to System Restore which must not be edited under any circumstances.

c. "HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP (Q322756)."

6. Five "Administrative Templates ship with Windows XP SP1" which includes more than 600 settings with over 100 new settings, and must be manually configured in the Computer Configuration in the Group Policy Object Editor to apply them.

7. The "Prevent access to registry editing tools (Q831787)" setting disables the Windows registry editors Regedit.exe and Regedit32.exe. Enabling this setting causes a message to appear when the user tries to start a registry editor, informing him or her that s/he cannot use them. This setting prevents users or intruders from accessing the registry using these tools, but does not prevent access to the registry itself.

8 "HOW TO: Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy in Windows XP (Q307882)."
Collapse -
Hv you tried Bob's suggestion?

Right-click My Documents for each user account has always worked fine for me too.

It allows you to relocate My Documents from the default C Drive to any of your choice.

Why mess with the Registry when the other solution is simpler?

Collapse -
Re: Hv you tried Bob's suggestion?

In reply to: Hv you tried Bob's suggestion?

Yes, it has allowed me to relocate my documents etc to another drive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.